Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Some 460 questions and discussion...

I run with scissors.

I have 2 460 engines, one runs and the other needs rebuilt. I'm putting one in my '93 Ranger along with a built C6. Headers will be 2" primary into a 3.5" collector.

The running one is a D0VE-A block with D0VE-C heads.

The not running one is from a '69 Lincoln and has C9 heads.

I plan to use the running one as-is except for swapping an intake and cam. I'm probably going to use a Stealth intake.

1. Will this cam work well? I'd like a lopey idle if possible http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-11602LK/

2. If the engine is together and running with no issues, can I unbolt the heads and bolt them back on without having them resurfaced?

The '69 engine has the crankshaft driven power steering pump. I bought the '69 engine mainly for the accessory brackets, then find out it has this antique and expensive pump on it. This engine is about as factory complete as possible.

3. If I rebuild (gaskets and o-rings) the crank driven driven power steering pump, what are the chances of it providing years of leak-free, trouble-free use?

4. If I sell the entire accessory package from the front of the motor to fund buying another package with a normal power steering pump, about how much should I expect to sell it for? (power steering pump, reservior, timing cover, alternator and brackets, A/C compressor and brackets, short style water pump, and harmonic balancer)

5. Has anyone ever used this bracket? http://www.landlproducts.com/details.aspx?cID=6&BP=0&scID=125&ItemID=1046

I'm just trying to get some decent brackets that all the belts line up perfectly with, without using washers and other spacers I find.

The '69 engine. Note the special harmonic balancer with the grooves for the belts, no crank pulley is used.

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

Post the entire casting numbers from the heads and block.
Plus, the casting date codes.

Something doesn't look right for that to be a car engine.

primetime

sawmill slave
Yes, that cam should work well. I ran an Erson TQ40 with 220/[email protected], .545 lift with an Performer RPM. It was a strong runner. You could tell it was in there, people who didn`t know any better would tell me it sounded like the truck didn`t run right. Just be sure to check clearence inthe lifter slot, and valve guides. You will also need valve springs. You should also check piston to valve clearence. Yes you can pull the heads and put them back on. You should check them with a straightedge just to be sure that they are flat though. I can`t help with your other questions though. Sorry.

The pulley system and all it's components.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Dennis, I'll get the numbers and post them up. Just curious, what about it is making you suspicious?
:rotz: (sigh) There is nothing suspicious...at all! Dennis is unaware, but I am not...the engine is 100% correct!

The early 460's had the "Vickers Drive" crank driven P/S pump as did the 430 and 462 M-E-L engines used in 1958/67, and on some early 1968's.

1968/71: 460 only installed in Lincoln's, Continental Marks. Ditto 1972, except Thunderbirds were now available with a 460. The 429 was available as an option in 1968/72 Ford/Mercury Passenger Cars.

1973: FoMoCo Passenger Cars (except Lincoln's, Mark IV's) were available as an option with both the 429 and 460. The 429 was dropped after 1973. All 1968/77 Lincoln's, Marks came with 460's.

Replacement parts are very hard to find for the Vickers Drive crank driven P/S pump. When found, expect to pay mega-bucks for these parts. The 'Lincoln-Mercury Old Parts Store' in Clearwater FL is one source.

The 460 was not offered in F100/350's until 1973, 1975 in Econolines.

Harmonic balancers that include pulley(s) for belt(s) will also be found on myriad other FoMoCo I-6 & V8 engines.

These engines were also available with bolt-on 2, 3 and 4 sheave (groove) outer pulley's if P/S, A/C and/or a dual belt alternator was installed.

Last edited:
and there is the explanation for something that we just don't see up here in Canada. I have a right to be suspicious if I have never seen something before.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Uh huh, are you saying that 1968/70 Lincoln's with their standard equipment Vickers Drive P/S pumps were not sold in Canada?

The fact that you've never seen something, doesn't mean it's in-correct. All it means is..you've never seen it.

"I've never seen a purple cow, I hope I never see one...but if I see a purple cow, I'd rather see than be one!" - Frank Noris, famous 19th century San Francisco raconteur.

Uh huh, are you saying that 1968/70 Lincoln's with their standard equipment Vickers Drive P/S pumps were not sold in Canada?.

I never said that so please Stop assuming things like you do.

I said I have never seen this setup in all the vehicles I have come across.

I thought is may have been a 430 or 462

I run with scissors.
Thanks to all who have replied, and thanks to Bill for the information and history of these engines. I've purchased a third complete 460 from a '78 Lincoln. This one has the metal can (saginaw?) type power steering pump. Still though, even with three different 460's to choose from, I still don't like the accessory package on the front of any of them. They just seem too big and bulky for the
"plain and simple" look I'm trying to achieve.

i have a plain and simple look on my 429

:rotz: (sigh) There is nothing suspicious...at all! Dennis is unaware, but I am not...the engine is 100% correct!

The early 460's had the "Vickers Drive" crank driven P/S pump as did the 430 and 462 M-E-L engines used in 1958/67, and on some early 1968's.

1968/71: 460 only installed in Lincoln's, Continental Marks. Ditto 1972, except Thunderbirds were now available with a 460. The 429 was available as an option in 1968/72 Ford/Mercury Passenger Cars.

1973: FoMoCo Passenger Cars (except Lincoln's, Mark IV's) were available as an option with both the 429 and 460. The 429 was dropped after 1973. All 1968/77 Lincoln's, Marks came with 460's.

Replacement parts are very hard to find for the Vickers Drive crank driven P/S pump. When found, expect to pay mega-bucks for these parts. The 'Lincoln-Mercury Old Parts Store' in Clearwater FL is one source.

The 460 was not offered in F100/350's until 1973, 1975 in Econolines.

Harmonic balancers that include pulley(s) for belt(s) will also be found on myriad other FoMoCo I-6 & V8 engines.

These engines were also available with bolt-on 2, 3 and 4 sheave (groove) outer pulley's if P/S, A/C and/or a dual belt alternator was installed.

I have a 68 460 that is complete for the exception of the AC. This was my dads motor that he bought to go into an AC Cobra and so he removed the AC. I think there is a possibility that it is somewhere in his garage. The reason I am replying to this is because I wanted to know if you knew much about this system as far as reliability and if it is worth anything. I wanted to use the system as I like how it is less bulky than having the large bracket hanging off the side. However, I am not fond of the pulley system and thought about converting to a newer setup. I have a crank, wp, and alt aluminum pulley setup from March that I would like to use. I do not believe I can use these with this setup. I could always powder coat the pulleys. That is also an option. So if I were to sell the setup, is it worth anything?

cant say anything about the rest but it looks like i learned some cool things today about Lincolns. thank everyone :)

i have used the bracket. i used that bracket with a stock gen 6 truck lower p/s pump bracket and some 80s vintage p/s pulley on a 80's ford p/s pump. i dont know what the pulley was off, i got a power steering pump, 80's bracket and pulley when i bought a 429 from a local hi boy guru. a stock gen 6 pulley would work as well but the belt will ride in the rear slot of a 2 sheave water pump pulley.

Attachments

• IMG_20150919_174855.jpg
  • IMG_20150919_174926.jpg

Ford Truck Articles