Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'71 F-100

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
So I finally got to play with my '71 today and have to say it's been VERY well kept. It has the usual dings from being a pickup and a bit of a wrinkle in the rear of the right bed side. Shows 29k but I think it's 129k (I seriously doubt it's anymore than that). 302, either the C4 or FMX, PS, PB, factory (pretty sure) AM radio, only tears in the seat are where the driver sits, ALL the trim (cab, windshield, bed, tail lights, rocker/lower bed), grille is near perfect. Also has a brand new y-pipe back exhaust with a FM 50 Series (hey, it was there when I got the truck and I don't plan to screw with it for the fact of it sounds good and it's quite when cruising)...

In cab tank is gone, and one has been put under the bed between the rails (goes from about mid cab to the front of the rear spring perch, don't think its factory for the year), the filler hole has been shaved (needs redone but I like that it has been), mirrors have been replaced with the little 3" ones, I like their style but can't find a good place to put them.

No cancer in the floors, bed, cab corners, NOTHING. Has the original washer fluid tank and the pump still works. The PS pump has the finned cooler right off the pump.

Needs a little work, but nothing I can't handle will make a great DD for now and have plans for some warming over...

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sounds great man...old trucks are the best. Glad she won't be too much work. My money is on a C4...not too many of the FMX's...and I dunno if they even came in trucks.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I haven't looked real close at it just know it's square (it was cold so I wanted to get in the house), and the FMX was in light trucks from '67-'79 (so i've read) but I would be happier with the C4 OR I'll pick up an AOD...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I haven't looked real close at it just know it's square (it was cold so I wanted to get in the house), and the FMX was in light trucks from '67-'79 (so i've read) but I would be happier with the C4 OR I'll pick up an AOD...

Pretty sure it was only a car tranny, and had a pretty short run...I'll go see if I can find my saved stuff from Bill on t'other site, it breaks it all down. As for the AOD...say it ain't so man...you're better than that...haha.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm going off of my source

http://www.fordification.com/autoID.htm

and I ran an AOD in my '70 SWB for the two years I had it running never gave me a problem and netted me high teens on the interstate w/the 302...

Alright...not gonna argue...I'm no expert, and fordification has all the pros...but I was pretty sure Bill told me, that most folks confuse the FMX with another tranny with a similar name of the same vintage, and that FMX's were a C6 with a SB bellhousing and went behind very few passenger cars.

As for your trim question...dunno about bumps...but in dents there are nuts on either end and the clips.

Oh and for the AOD...seems like guys either love them or hate them...I've had terrible luck with anything that has an AOD...and so have a few of my buddies. My '87 Bronco had 3 rebuilds and 2 different trannies in about 180,000 miles all covered by warranties, and some were done by other shops...so it wasn't just one bad shop.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts