Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cruise control pics

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
One of the members requested some pics of the cruise control setup, so I decided to post them here.

DSCF28231.JPG

DSCF2824.JPG

DSCF2826.JPG

DSCF2828.JPG

DSCF28301.JPG

The first picture is the bakelite connection for the cruise control chain to the carb.

The second picture is the servo mounted to the intake manifold. There are two sets of wires that come out oif the back of the servo and go into the cab.

The third picture is the mounting point for the servo on the intake manifold.

The fourth picture is the amplifier mounted behind the gauge cluster.

The fifth picture is the second vacuum canister. I don't know if this is just for the cruise or not.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks for posting that Doug. Interesting on what seems to be marked "valenti" on the firewall, I have the same on mine.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
You're welcome. I've wondered about that, too. If I remember right your truck also came from the San Jose plant.

Pay no attention to that "Made in China" stamp on the electrical box. :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You're welcome. I've wondered about that, too. If I remember right your truck also came from the San Jose plant.

Pay no attention to that "Made in China" stamp on the electrical box. :D

I didn't see that....:rofl: :rofl:

Yes, San Jose.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
It would appear that Valenti was one of the final inspection members for the San Jose plant.
Mike0o0o0o has the same stamp on his truck.(from San Jose)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Wild....thanks for the info!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Yes, I just assumed the dashpot was to slow down the throttle response when you let off the accelerator.?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Thanks for posting those pics. From what I see, it looks like I have everything intact on my 75 supercab. The only thing I don't have is a steering wheel with cruise. I found that odd when I bought it. It has a year correct steering wheel, but the center pad is a non-cruise one. So, I don't even know if the cruise works.

So, that small vac cannister is for the cruise huh? Is the other cannister the large one that mounts under the driver's side inner fender?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thanks for posting those pics. From what I see, it looks like I have everything intact on my 75 supercab. The only thing I don't have is a steering wheel with cruise. I found that odd when I bought it. It has a year correct steering wheel, but the center pad is a non-cruise one. So, I don't even know if the cruise works.

So, that small vac cannister is for the cruise huh? Is the other cannister the large one that mounts under the driver's side inner fender?

After looking at that canister a little closer, it looks like BOTH canisters are tied together via a vacuum tee to the left of the brake booster on the firewall. I'm guessing it is just additional vacuum to run whatever needs to be run.

I'm amazed at how well the cruise does control speed at a pretty tight tolerance. The only time I see a variance in speed is during wind gusts. You can feel the speed surge and slow down at times.

If you need additional pics or info, let me know. I don't know much about the electrical side of the cruise control.

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
After looking at that canister a little closer, it looks like BOTH canisters are tied together via a vacuum tee to the left of the brake booster on the firewall. I'm guessing it is just additional vacuum to run whatever needs to be run.

I'm amazed at how well the cruise does control speed at a pretty tight tolerance. The only time I see a variance in speed is during wind gusts. You can feel the speed surge and slow down at times.

If you need additional pics or info, let me know. I don't know much about the electrical side of the cruise control.

Buck, the picture of the servo shows the vacuum splitter just to the left of the servo on the firewall. The bottom line comes from the vacuum tree on the back of the engine, and I think the other two lines go to both vacuum canisters.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks a ton Doug...I can look at diagrams and schematics all day long, but something gets lost in translation to real world physical parts for me.

I will share a couple photos of my setup which is for a 79 which uses a cable throttle instead of the solid linkage.

I originally had a 351m and swapped for a 460. My truck had factory cruise control originally and was not swapped in. I used a servo bracket from a 77 Lincoln Mark IV with a 460 and noticed that the 460 servo has a slightly longer chain than the one on a 351m. The original 351m servo chain would not reach. I am using a road demon 725 carb.

The cruise vacuum is sourced from the engine tree which tees in with the canister under the fender via the disc shaped tee in my last pic. The canister on top of the fender apron is tied in with the hvac controls in the cab.

dscn1155.jpg

dscn1156.jpg

dscn1157.jpg

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I need to get an under fender vac canister. I have the small one, but I have another vac line that goes to nowhere and is blocked off. I do loose vac to the vent controls when under a load so this might be my problem. Maybe I can get this all fixed and then get a steering wheel pad with cruise and get the CC working. Downfall is that I have an early style steering wheel and finding a nice pad for that with CC is hard and a new one is very expensive.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts