Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

tire trouble

Is there a tire guy out there who cangive me some advice ??
Recently my truck had a leaking tire repaired at a local shop. Nothing major, just a slow leak. A few days later, after driving only about 25 miles. the tire suffered a catastrophic failure. After installing the spare, I went to the nearest tire shop for a replacement (this is a shop that is known to me). There the techs discovered that there were two sections of the bead where there was visible cord. They wondered how the tire even held air. When they dismounted the tire, they discovered that an inner tube had been installed in the tire. The tube was covered with rust indicating that it was a used tube as my rims are aluminum alloy. The shop owner said nothing about this. I tried to deal with the shop owner directly, to no avail. Next step was the BBB. Also to no avail. The owner then accused me of slander and liable. It is my conclusion that my tire was damaged sometime during the patching process and the tube was installed to get the tire to hold air and get my truck down the road., with me none the wiser. It has always been my understanding that a tube was not to be installed in a tubeless radial tire. The exception being if the tube is designed for radial use and if the rim is tube compatible. So, if there are tire guys reading this, please help me out. I need some sources of good, solid documentation to prevent being hauled into court.

Fellro

Staff member
The bead was most likely damaged during dismount, which isn't all that uncommon. Once the bead is torn, a tube is the only way to save it. It is best to use a radial tube in a radial tire. If you can get a statement in writing from your repair shop, or if the tube and tire are still available, you will want to hold on to them just in case they do decide to try something. I doubt they will, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Pictures of them would be good if you happen to have them. A new tube is in the territory of $20 or so, so it would seem they had one around that came from maybe a used up tire and tossed it in to save having to tell you they messed up the bead.

In the end, it is still somewhat a case of your word against theirs. You don't have absolute proof that they did install it, and they have no absolute proof that they did not. It is also possible that the guy working on it did it without the manager/owner's knowledge.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
From my times getting flats repaired, the shop always informed me of the condition of the tire and if a patch would work or a tube and patch, etc. Bottom line, the shop told me what needed to be done before the repair, and the repair details were in writing on the invoice.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
I'm thinking the tech tore the bead when dismounting and tried to cover it up so the boss didn't know about all this...

Fellro

Staff member
Again, my bet is on the tech didn't let the boss know, and snuck this in. It has all the looks of such an action.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts