Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ID this thing attached to air cleaner? injection ?

This was set up on a friends parts truck..line goes over to the other pic, where what seems to be a solenoid and bracket (where the vaccum canister would be)wired to a switch in the cab..
Funny thing is we thought it was a switch for the glow plugs, only to find the glow plug relay isnt even wired up ????

Crazy
Is this some sort of injection set up, it almost looks like some sort of container screwed onto the bracket...shot of ether for starting???

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
That is used to tell you how dirty the filter is by indicating the vacuum behind the filter.

That is used to tell you how dirty the filter is by indicating the vacuum behind the filter.

Look to the right of the vaccum guage on the other side of the air cleaner cover..there is a line. There that attaches to the part in the other pic.. showed to a guy that has been around diesel before and he was pretty certain its a setup used to.give a shot of ether for starting

Fellro

Staff member
Likely was. IH put something kind of similar on the tractors from the factory. Likely was a band aid for glow plug problems, kind of goes hand in hand with your issues that way. The tractors that have that have no glow plugs.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
^ Yep, as I was reading your post that was what I was thinking.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I would like to have that, my heavy WMO cocktail makes it impossible to use my glowplugs to start. That is, indeed, an ether assist.....they go for 60 bucks or so new. If you're interested in keeping that, NAPA sells the canisters for 30 bucks or so. Good for 250 starts.

Fellro

Staff member
The ones on the tractors use the aerosol cans, $5.

Sorry guys.. missed this one.. funny now with my glow plug issues I may consider. It. The thing that scares me is the supposed premature ware it it causes on the rings. This ether squirter came with a buddys parts truck...maybe he won't want it. Hmmmm.. not giving up on the glow plugs just yet

Fellro

Staff member
Ether fires off early, so makes a pretty hard shock wave before the piston actually gets to the top. The idea of it is that it is to ignite the diesel being injected. If you have heard the knock at first fire after using ether, that is preignition, basically pinging just like on a gas motor, it is a bad thing.

Ford Truck Articles