Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

7.3 turbo diesel

What causes sluggish acceleration and stalling when fully warmed up? Someone suggested fuel filter but I find it hard to follow if shifting to neutral and stomping it gets a decent response from it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

blacksnapon

Staff member
What causes sluggish acceleration and stalling when fully warmed up? Someone suggested fuel filter but I find it hard to follow if shifting to neutral and stomping it gets a decent response from it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
On top of the driver side head, in front, theres a mushroom looking sensor (thats the ICP sensor). Possibly bad there. Or could be a high pressure oil pump/system issue. Need more info.

Fellro

Staff member
Hey Vince, you talking powerstroke? You are in the IDI section... A fuel filter certainly can, as the old mechanical pumps actually use fuel pressure to open the injectors, so if the pressure is low, the injectors open late. Free rev is different than acceleration under load by far. It uses way less fuel. I had one that it seemed the wind was really causing drag, but when it could hardly hold 45 anymore, I knew what was going on. I dropped the trailer and went straight to a parts store and got a filter. Put the filter on, and it was back to its normal hard pulling self. It's things like that as to why I generally carry an extra filter. Rest of the story is I had just drained a fuel oil barrel with #2 in it, and got all the gunk from that... a real duh moment

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts