Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1984 Ranger transmission oil

hye, this sounds stupid, and once again I apologize for annoying the people here, but i realize you guys know what your talking about.

I can't find the tranny oil dipstick, or how to change it. I have a 5 speed manual

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
You aren't annoying anyone by asking questions. We are here to help. I've never seen anyone on this site annoyed over a legitimate question. No dipstick on a manual transmission. Should just have a fill and drain plug on it.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You won't find a dipstick...don't think I've ever seen a manual with a trans dipstick.

Not sure what transmission is in an '84 (pretty sure the trans that's in my Rangers didn't come along until later), but they're generally all pretty similar.

On the transmission, there'll be a drain plug on the bottom, and a fill plug (looks like the drain plug, but about halfway up) on the side. The fluid should be up to the bottom of the fill hole, or just a touch higher, so when you pull the plug it runs out or you can feel it with your finger tip through the hole.

(Whether you're changing the fluid or just checking it, I'd say it'd be a smart idea to take the fill plug out before the drain plug...just in case the fill plug doesn't want to budge. That way you're not stuck with a dry trans you can't refill.)

Oh- and asking questions about how to work on your rig isn't annoying...heck, that's why we're here- to talk about our trucks, share what we know, and learn from the others on the boards.

Ford Truck Articles