Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'09 MPG update

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Been keeping track of gas mileage in my new truck...got about 2400 miles on it now.

I've got gas consumption data over 2144 miles. Overall average 17.6...two tanks in the high 15s, two at 19.9, the rest in the middle. Haven't broken 20 yet.

I was hoping for, but not expecting, slightly better. Green engine, snow tires, cold temps (with long warm-ups) and not too many long drives mean this should be the low end of what the truck will do, too.

One thing I hadn't fully realized about the lower mileage in this truck, compared to my other one, though, is how much it reduces the range per tank. I generally try to fuel up around a quarter tank (especially if I'm just putting around), and that's what I've done every time in this truck. Haven't yet made it past 250 miles on a tank.

For local driving, it doesn't really matter that much...but if I've got to buy gas every 300-325 miles on a long trip, that's gonna get old fast. The other truck used to do more like 450-500 without sweating it much- I think I got 550 out of a tank a couple times (it's got an extra gallon, too).

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
My first thought is something you already covered.... The winter warm-up time is burning gas while not traveling. You DID get a pretty big v6 in that fine piece of machinery as well.

I don't recall... What gears do you have in it?

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My first thought is something you already covered.... The winter warm-up time is burning gas while not traveling. You DID get a pretty big v6 in that fine piece of machinery as well.

I don't recall... What gears do you have in it?

Well, yeah- I knew it wasn't gonna get what the other truck did. And I am beating EPA, slightly. I just wanted to see the high side of by now. Come summer, with a tonneau, I should be able to break that on the highway no problem, though.

And yeah, it's got 3.73 gears. Tires come out to around 28.5" IIRC.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Once winter is over and not running the oxygenated gas your mileage will increase slightly. You should hit about 21-22 MPG the 4.0 is not he gas sipper the 2.3 is and you are pushing a extra axle up front.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I 'm pretty sure it's a stick. he would never own an auto in his life.

Well, I owned one auto, for about six months. Traded it on this rather than spend an hour replacing a $50 part. Not overly fond of that car.

I could probably break 20 now, just by setting the cruise at 65 rather than 70, if I really cared. I'll be satisfied with beating EPA, though.

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
And the super duty with manual can get as good miles as a ranger. I drove one for 2 weeks and got 17 MPG + . But I put around and like too lug along .Still don't know why auto shift so soon and scream ( high RPMS) till they get on flat .

Last edited:

FTF'er
Why do Rangers get such poor mileage? 20 mpg doesn't impress me much since I've owned larger V8 trucks that get 20 mpg or better.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
And the super duty with manual can get as good miles as a ranger. I drove one for 2 weeks and got 17 MPG + . But I put around and like too lug along .Still don't know why auto shift so soon and scream ( high RPMS) till they get on flat .

Hold on there- I drove a Super Duty PSD with a manual and got 18... which is absolutely the best I've ever done on any new-style Ford pickup. Heck, the 1/2T's have a hard time breaking 14. FIL had a '97 4.6 that got 17-19 mpg all the time. That truck got traded for a '05 1/2. Same motor, same configuration (F150 S/C 2WD), and it never broke 15 mpg.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Why do Rangers get such poor mileage? 20 mpg doesn't impress me much since I've owned larger V8 trucks that get 20 mpg or better.

What's really sad is the 4-cylinder 4x4s the other manufacturers put out aren't much better.

I need four-wheel drive, but not the power of a V6. Ford doesn't offer a four-cylinder 4x4, but Chevy and Toyota do. I can't remember the EPA ratings off the top of my head, but they're only a couple points higher than the 15/19 my Ranger is rated for.

You're right, though- they do seem to be thirstier than they need to be.

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
What's really sad is the 4-cylinder 4x4s the other manufacturers put out aren't much better.

I need four-wheel drive, but not the power of a V6. Ford doesn't offer a four-cylinder 4x4, but Chevy and Toyota do. I can't remember the EPA ratings off the top of my head, but they're only a couple points higher than the 15/19 my Ranger is rated for.

You're right, though- they do seem to be thirstier than they need to be.

Safety and emissions regs are taking their toll. I've had full-size pickups that could break 20- but they were all bowties, and that was hwy only. My '05 F150 Lariat 4X4 (5.4) got a consistent 13.8 mpg over 5,000 miles driving.

None of the compacts get much better- 5-banger Colorado's get 17ish, Yota's are actually lower than that.

FTF'er
I went to look at Colorados once thinking "This would be cool to have because I can have a decent sized truck and still get 25 or more MPG." It didn't take long to change my mind after seeing the EPA mpg on the window sticker.

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
I went to look at Colorados once thinking "This would be cool to have because I can have a decent sized truck and still get 25 or more MPG." It didn't take long to change my mind after seeing the EPA mpg on the window sticker.

I drove a 5-cylinder Crew Cab 4X4 for 5,000 miles. No power, crappy gas mileage, and a transmission that could never seem to be able to decide what gear it was supposed to be in. Did I mention the window sticker was a little north of $30K? [confused] The whole time i drove it, all I could think was "a Silverado has more power, room, better gas mileage, and costs about the same." Now you can get a 5.3 V8 in a Colorado- and it gets 2 mpg less than a comparable Silverado (no variable cylinder management).

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts