Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 1

Generation 1 1948-1952 F1 thru F8

Old 03-05-2017, 06:14 PM

PSD2003 is on a distinguished road
Truck License Plates

Anybody know what kind/size of truck would have been issued truck plates in 1949? State of Virginia.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2017, 08:01 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
A picture of the plates, but I don't know what the GVW rating would have been to differentiate cars from trucks. Is that what you are asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 03-05-2017, 08:17 PM

Yes. Would those have been issued for an F-1? I expect the truck plates were only issued to larger trucks, but I'm not sure. Maybe they did things differently back then.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
The cutoff has generally been 6000 lb GVW. It's only a gut feeling, but anything rated at 6000 or higher would have been considered a truck, so yes, an F-1 would have had truck plates. My only experience was Colorado, where an F-1 wore truck plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 03-08-2017, 01:07 AM
Flatheads Forever

mtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond repute
Couple of ideas to throw out - may or may not help.

Before 1942, half ton pickups were build on car chassis. Beginning in 42 Ford started the typical "truck" chassis even in pickups. They were only considered half-ton trucks.

In 1948 Ford started the "F" series.
F1 half-ton gvwr was 4700
F2/3 three quarter ton gvwr was 6800

So while I don't know the answer for sure, it is my belief that T plates were issued to half-ton pickups 1942 on. But, this may have varied state-to-state.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:52 PM

Decided to keep it simple and go with the normal tags.

Not surprisingly, the DMV had no historical information and could only offer the current guidelines which offer truck plates to pickups over 6500lbs gross weight.

I suspect the guidelines were different back in 1949.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:40 PM

amkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond repute
You could buy a set of vintage truck plates off eBay for when you are at car shows/events. That is what I have done
Cool factor 100%
Old 03-27-2017, 06:56 PM

Virginia actually allows you to register vintage plates to your vehicle for use as permanent plates.

I just wondered if truck "T" plates like the ones pictured above would be historically accurate for a '49 F-1.