Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Spicer U-Joints

Storm

Anyone know if it'd be worth the investment to pull all my U-Joints out and replace them with Spicer Greaseable's?

Also any idea where I could find them.. Not much of a drive-train kinda d00d.. So I dunno exactly what I need to look for on my 2004 F250 SD

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If you're going to replace your u-joints to waste your money on anything but Spicer joints, they're simply the best.

Also don't use greasables, non-greaseable are a stronger/better sealing joint. And that was confirmed to me by the guy that I bought my joints at. Whats that? a testimonial? Sure! My brother's 97 F250 PSD 4x4 has 200k+ miles on the original Spicer non-greaseable joints from the factory and they're still tight as hell; how bout that for a testimonial?! :D Just find a driveline shop in your area and they'll most likely have Spicers. Generally your local generic parts houses won't carry them.

If you can't find a shop in your area I could pick up some joints for you when I go down to the driveline shop to get my rear shaft balanced, and ship them out to you. But you'll have to measure your ujoints and be very sure that you've giving me the right size.

Last edited:

Storm

Schweet.. I'll check in on it.. I'm just looking more at U-Joints that work good.. As I tend to spin the shafts pretty damn hard around here.. Don't wanna blow out the factory ones as I know they aren't made for my "hot rodding" style of drive :)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Also don't use greasables, non-greaseable are a stronger/better sealing joint.

I've heard smart guys weigh in on both sides of that debate, and I've heard smart guys say it don't matter worth a plug nickel which type to get.

I sure as heck don't know the answer, but I'm not certain that there IS an answer....

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Want a testimonial AGAINST the greaseables too? Okay fine. I installed greaseables on my rear shaft a few months ago and I went under my truck soon after to do some work and what do I see? Grease has been SLUNG all over the bottom of my bed, on my exhaust, and everything else it could as it was flung from the grease boots as the driveshaft spun up. So now I have no clue if there's ANY grease in my joints at all...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Storm from my experience with my old d*dge, I found that a non-greasable stock joint was the best and strongest joint on the market. I tried them all(I was going through them about once every week becasue of the torque of the diesel). Every greasable joint broke right on the nipple for the grease. I mean don't get me wrong I would go through stock joints too but only about once every two months or so(or should I rephrase that....about once every 4th or 5th 4 grand hole shot! Instead of every one I did! LOL)

Just my .02 bud I have no idea about the ford stock joints or aftermarket joints for them but I know with a souped up diesel you get into a new category.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Stock Ford joints are made by Dana Spicer. In my opinion, it don't get any better than that ;) Neapco I've heard makes good joints too.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts