Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My new intake manifold

Aint she purdy guys?. Scored this one for 40 dollars now i got a choice between two carbs one is a holly double pumper 700 or 750 cfm i forget. The other one is a edelbrock 600 cfm i can get the edelbrock its brand new never even took out of the box for 100 dollars both 4 barrels obviously. I guess im building an modified might as well shoot myself in the foot while im at it. It needs a good cleaning its got all the block offs and everything i need will i gain anything by adding a 4 barrel and different intake is it worth it?.
9fn0o9.jpg

im not to sure on the tech questions but it would seem that you would get more umff out of the holley since its bigger but the edelbrock would look better i had a holley double pumper on my 71 skylark back in high school worked great but ugly as hell imo thats pretty good deal tho for a new edelbrock for 100 i think the retail for about 250-300

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The double pumper is just gonna cost you in fuel...and I will guess that it is most probably mechanical secondaries...so unless you are going to run a tunnel ram and high duration cam that doesn't start coming in until 3000 rpm, I would stick with the Edelbrock unit...hopefully it is a vacuum secondary unit...and yes, you should gain some power and efficiency although adding headers and a cam would help the package even more....then maybe Aussie heads and pistons...hehe..you know how it goes!

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sounds like some deals man...Is that an eddy performer intake? Can't really tell, but it doesn't look like it. Anyway...as for the carb selection...even though I loooooove Holley's...I wouldn't put it on your truck, it's just tooooooo big unless you have a pretty intense build planned, and DP's just aren't street friendly enough. You just wouldn't be happy with it on a relatively stock engine. Only way I would get it is if you could sell it and make a profit. The engine will enjoy the Eddy 600 much more and way more friendly...and it's NIB so you're gettin a deal.

As for gains going with the 4bbl combo...I definitely noticed mpg increases in both Red and the Bronco...2 mpgs in Red and 4 mpgs in the Bronco. This was going from a stock 2bbl to an eddy performer/Holley 4150 combo. As for power...oddly enough, in both cases, I noticed a top end increase...but not much in the low/mid range.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Definitly get the 600 that 700 or 750 will drown that 351 in a second. I have a 750 edelbrock on my 390 and if I floor it I can watch the gas gauge go down and its always flooded after I shut it off. It was alot better when I had the 600. Also with them bigger carbs hate low end and they buck when ya get em down too far in the rpms. the 600 on the other hand will bog all day long and not buck. Theyre better for street drivin and four wheelin.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Aint she purdy guys?. Scored this one for 40 dollars now i got a choice between two carbs one is a holly double pumper 700 or 750 cfm i forget. The other one is a edelbrock 600 cfm i can get the edelbrock its brand new never even took out of the box for 100 dollars both 4 barrels obviously. I guess im building an modified might as well shoot myself in the foot while im at it. It needs a good cleaning its got all the block offs and everything i need will i gain anything by adding a 4 barrel and different intake is it worth it?.
9fn0o9.jpg

I hate you...:slap: :nutkick: :p j/k great buy.

Definitly get the 600 that 700 or 750 will drown that 351 in a second. I have a 750 edelbrock on my 390 and if I floor it I can watch the gas gauge go down and its always flooded after I shut it off. It was alot better when I had the 600. Also with them bigger carbs hate low end and they buck when ya get em down too far in the rpms. the 600 on the other hand will bog all day long and not buck. Theyre better for street drivin and four wheelin.

might be slightly off topic but what about dual carb set ups i was thinking about one for my 390 i know edelbrock has intake and carb kits for pretty much all motors

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
might be slightly off topic but what about dual carb set ups i was thinking about one for my 390 i know edelbrock has intake and carb kits for pretty much all motors

The key is just to make sure you're not overcarbing. It's simply and overhyped myth that adding dual carbs will hurt mpg's, are hard to tune, etc. You just have to make sure you have the proper cfm. Heck I've even seen 6 single bbl carb setups before at 97 cfm each. But for your 390, you won't want to go over probably 650cfm for a stock/mild engine.

The key is just to make sure you're not overcarbing. It's simply and overhyped myth that adding dual carbs will hurt mpg's, are hard to tune, etc. You just have to make sure you have the proper cfm. Heck I've even seen 6 single bbl carb setups before at 97 cfm each. But for your 390, you won't want to go over probably 650cfm for a stock/mild engine.
i have heard that its hard to tune them so thats good to konw that its just a myth but as far as mph's i could care less if its haulin ass ill keep puttin the gas smiliepeelout

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
i know its been bored out .30 over which we figured put it at 396 dont know about the cam and crank tho i mainly like the look i think the combo kit edelbrock had was dual 600s

HOLY SH******************T...NOOOOOOOOO, that is way too much. If all you have is a .030 bore, a mild cam and crank, no way should you go with dual quads. Maybe if they have a dual 2bbl setup with each being 300ish cfm then go for it. IIRC, there was also a six pack setup available for the FE's...may also wanna go that route too.

i have heard that its hard to tune them so thats good to konw that its just a myth but as far as mph's i could care less if its haulin ass ill keep puttin the gas smiliepeelout

A carb can only do so much to help add power...not one of the things that should actually be considered a go fast part. Properly tuned is far more important than cfm's. Given I'm not expert, but I don't really see how a carb can actually add horsepower...make a rig more effeicient resulting in more power, sure, but a carb by its self won't add power.

Last edited:

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Id stick to a single carb until ya get a way bigger cam and better heads. I dont even think they make a dual 2bbl do they unless ya get adapters to go from 4bbl to 2bbl. I have one carb on mine and it does just fine. Really all a second one will do is just burn more fuel.

dam i guess the dual carbs will have to wait until the build up i just love the look of it o well no point in wasting money on something thats going to do more harm then good at this point thanks fellas

Dang, nice find! If anyone knows where I can get a deal like that on a 4bbl intake for a 351M, LET ME KNOW!

Go with the edelbrock 600 CFM carb. Anything larger than a 650 will have no benefit, and most of the "performance" you will get out of a carb is in the proper tuning anyway.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts