Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tips, Tricks and References

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hello again fellas. When I head out to work on one of my rigs, I'm always worried about what little things I didn't think about that will jump up and bite me in the butt. So I always find it useful to search sites like this one for guys who have done the same job before but have hands on experience to tell me what to watch out for. So I am trying to compile a list of things that are easily enough overlooked, but can seriously help save time and money. I do apologize in adavance if this is redundant for some of you gurus, but I think it may help. So here it goes:

First and foremost, when looking at a vehicle and trying to determine what engine it has, count the valve cover bolts:

302/351W= 6 VC bolts
351M/400= 8 VC bolts
360/390= 5 VC bolts
429/460= 7 VC bolts

When searching for that front D60, and you can't determine visually:

I believe the diff cover on the front D44 has 1/2" bolts, while the D60 has 9/16"

When removing emblems:

I use 20lb test fishing line. Just get it behind the emblem and pull a little at a time. Using the fishing line instead of just popping it off with a screwdriver definitely saves the paint.

When looking for engine building advice:

Go to Bubba's M Block page. It has been archived here:
http://351cleveland.wetpaint.com/page/Bubba's+M+Block+Workshop?t=anon

When replacing a heater core, reference this link:

http://www.ncspecialties.com/autobody/heater/index.htm

Books you should have:
-Year specific shop manuals for your truck
-Haynes and/or Chiltons manual
-Tom Monroe: How build a Ford V8

Parts Resources:
New Parts-
JBG
Dennis Carpenter
O'Reilly's Autoparts (when time is of the essence)

Old Parts-
Pick-n-Pull of your choice
ebay
craigslist

Whenever in the process of disassembly, be sure to take LOTS of pictures.

If planning on reusing fasteners, clips, etc. be sure to put them in a baggy and a detailed label.

Now I know there is lots more, and that list isn't really all that 'techy' but that's all I could really think of off the top of my head. I hope this spawns some interest and can really help some guys out.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The Steering Coupler Bolt is a 12 point ,11mm or 7/16" Bolt .

The pwr steering box adjustment should never be made without first making the the proper test and use the proper tools.

78-79 NSS's are prone to going bad from road filth (cleaning can be performed) before replacing.

A/T ..Tilt steering columns are different from F-series to E-series due to shaft length,although some parts are interchangeable.

Trucks with Speed Control require special parts.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
To add to the places for buying new parts:

-RockAuto.com (these guys often have Motorcraft parts, and if not they have higher-quality parts that are comparable to OEM... and FANTASTIC prices)
-Our sponsor! Ed has a banner at the top of this page where you can buy Motorcraft parts at a discount. If you're using an ad-blocker, here's the link:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=215005

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Great post Ben :D

Thanks man

Another tip that came to mind that Bill (BKW) told me was...when ordering driver's side bedsides, be sure to get the proper gas tank openings...ie dual doors, single doors, round neck, or no openings.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just thought of another quick tip...although I hate LMC products, they usually do a pretty good job at exploded view diagrams...anything from engine compartment doo-hickeys to dash doo-dads to mounting bolts for the bed.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for that Don...gave me a nice goodnight chuckle.

when i striped the side chrome from my supercab i noticed the black paint was chipped/peeling on the lower racetrack trim i used 1/4" black pin striping from napa [3m]it followed the contours very nice/stuck very well fit the width perfect and it all looks very nice and new! sure beat the hell out of masking/spray painting for 40ft
when changing out radius arm bushings park in front of another truck with a trailer hitch this way you can use a com-a-long to pull arms toward front of truck with out removing frame brackets saves a lot of time trying to realine brackets/bolts

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
The best trick I know of is to walk away for a minute before you throw the wrench at your fresh paint job. ;)

If you are having a hard time getting a spark plug threaded in, because it is hard to reach, stick a length of rubber hose over the end of it and hold and turn the hose to guide it in and start the threads.

Just thought of another quick tip...although I hate LMC products, they usually do a pretty good job at exploded view diagrams...anything from engine compartment doo-hickeys to dash doo-dads to mounting bolts for the bed.

Then what would I do here ? :(

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The best trick I know of is to walk away for a minute before you throw the wrench at your fresh paint job. ;)

If you are having a hard time getting a spark plug threaded in, because it is hard to reach, stick a length of rubber hose over the end of it and hold and turn the hose to guide it in and start the threads.

I have to agree, that first tip is probably the best one yet. There have been several times that I get frustrated, then go inside grab a drink, then go back to work and everything continues smoothly.

And if I may expand on your second trick...I use an old cut up plug wire (usually cut down to about 4-6"). I clip in the spark plug in the end of the plug wire for a good hold, then tread in the plug. I keep two of them, one I prep with fresh plug, the other I use to pull the plug when it's loose enough to get out with finger strength. They're also great because they give you a little extra flexible length when you don't quite have enough room for your ratchet. Here's a pic:

DSC02014.jpg

Then what would I do here ? :(

C'mon man, you know you're not replaceable. It was simply a quick tip for when folks don't need something quite as detailed as you have, can't get to a computer, or if you're not on to give them that great free customer service.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I've got one more that seems to be quite a common problem...exterior light issues. A tell tale sign that you have a light issue either in the tail light or or front blinker is feedback in the signal indicator in your dash. The culprit will 99% of the time a bad ground somewhere. So what I do first is, make sure all plugs are properly plugged together. Then determine if the bulbs are actually good. Next I clean all plugs. Next I inspect and clean all sockets or replace. Next, I inspect for any splicing, frays, exposed wires or other PO debachles to the wiring. Now you can try to trace which light exactly is giving you problems, but I usually assume if one is a problem, they will all eventually be a problem. It has been my experience that 9 times out of 10 a simple socket cleaning or replacement solves any ground/feedback/lighting issues. It is also my personal preference to shell out the cash for new sockets instead of trying to clean them because some are just too far gone, or you didn't clean the socket well enough which results in the system still not working and you believing your socket is fine. Last time I checked, tail light and front parking lamp sockets for dentsides can be had at O'Reilly Autoparts for $6.95, JBG and DC for $10. I believe reverse sockets were the same price, and I'm not sure what the cost of side marker sockets were.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hoses and snipped up spark plug wires?! Haven't y'all ever heard of a spark plug socket? Has a nice little rubber grommet inside that holes the spark plug in place while you screw it in. I take it off the ratchet and put it on the spark plug to start it by hand, then when it's ready I just leave it in place and snap the ratchet onto the back side. Works great YelloThumbUp

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well now that would just make too much sense wouldn't it Chris. Besides, I prefer the flexibility I have with plug wires. But to tell you the truth, I do have a plug socket, but I always find it easier to use the plug wire for the 3rd and 4th cylinders on each side, especially if the rig has A/C...it allows flexible length.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Plug socket works great where it can be used. Some places are so tight that a flexible piece is even more help.

Ford Truck Articles