Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Radiator Swap

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas...I'm finally putting the finishing touches and collecting my parts for my Bronco's engine rebuild. I currently have the standard cooling raditor, but I'm gonna need a little more cooling than the stock size, plus I'm starting to get little pinhole leaks on the top.

So anyways, I've been looking on JBG and can't determine if I want to go with their extra cooling raditor:

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-20602_1977-79_351m_400_radiator__extra_cooling.htm

or their Super cooling radiator:

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-20604_1977-79_radiator__super_cooling.htm

The latter is bigger overall and a 3 core as opposed to 2 core. I've always gone with bigger is better, and with hot southern summers I guess cooling an engine isn't a place I want to try and save $100 right?

With that said, if I do go with the Super Cooling, I should only have move/adjust the radiator support right? So if anyone has gone from a standard to super cooling radiator, I'd appreciate and tech or adjustment info you can throw my way. Thanks.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Go with the 3 core . I run them myself . It get warm where u r :)

Love the 96 by the way

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Go with the 3 core . I run them myself . It get warm where u r :)

Love the 96 by the way

Thanks for the compliment about the 96. As far as going with the 3 core...I pretty much figured that's what I'd go with and would be unanimously voted in. I was more searching for an argument on why not to go 3 core. On top of that, what had to be adjusted to get the 3 core in there. I believe the Super Cooler is 6 inches wider, 3 inches taller and almost twice as deep as the standard cooling I have right now...so I didn't know how snug, or how much work would be involved to get it in there.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If the super cooler is so deep that it hits your clutch fan then you'd almost be forced to use an electric fan setup.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not a big fan of adding electric stuff...just my own little quirk. I know the super cooler will fit...Ford put them in trucks (the SCS's), I just don't know what mods, if any need to be made to make the radiator fit.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I hooked my fan up so I could just unplug it and swap it out with the one I keep behind my seat, I love it I really felt it when I took that old fan out.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Ben an electic fan will be of help to you, i forgot what magazine it was but the belt driven fans can rob as much as 20-30 horses...
You would be suprised....
The electric fans dont draw much of a load either...
Do some research, there not hard to hook up, its on my to do list in the 95

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the info Don...that HP number really is surprising. I just usually prefer keeping all my stuff as mechanical as possible for ease of repairs. Although, I did notice my temp gauge raising a little bit more than I'd like last time I went over to Tellico, so considering that and the HP numbers...it's at least something to think about.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Not a big fan of adding electric stuff...

smiliewhathesaid smilieIagree

Electric fan setups are not nearly as efficeint or effective as the factory water pump mounted fan assemblies. Removing the factory water pump mounted cooling fans and installing an electric unit is a step backwards for cooling efficeincy.

As far as size of the two radiators in question, the Super cool top tank is 1-1/4" wider, the bottom tank is the same width, cores are both 1-7/8" thick. Main difference is the Super Cool is 5" taller. Based on the sizes given, i don't think you will have a clearance issue between the fan and radiator.

You may also want to talk with Griffin Radiator and Be Cool
www.griffinrad.com/
www.becool.com/

It is not as much the number of rows of tubes as it is the size of the tubes and overall size of the radiator. In addition, you may want to consider a cross flow radiator instead of a downflow, as cross flow radiators are more efficeint.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Ben an electic fan will be of help to you, i forgot what magazine it was but the belt driven fans can rob as much as 20-30 horses...
You would be suprised....
The electric fans dont draw much of a load either...
Do some research, there not hard to hook up, its on my to do list in the 95

Yes an electric fan may pick you up a few Hp, but the trade off is poorer cooling when switching to an electric fan. Also using the push thru mounting pins for electric fans will result in rapid radiator failure especially in rough duty applications.

Electric fans are a piss poor cooling solution compared to belt driven water pump mounted fans.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Again...great info blackhat. I was wanting a crossflow rad. but the only ones I could seem to find that were in my price range were on ebay...and I don't wanna buy something as important as a radiator on ebay. As far as the companies you listed...while yes they're great...a little steep in price for the rig I'd be putting the radiator in to.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Yes an electric fan may pick you up a few Hp, but the trade off is poorer cooling when switching to an electric fan. Also using the push thru mounting pins for electric fans will result in rapid radiator failure especially in rough duty applications.

Electric fans are a piss poor cooling solution compared to belt driven water pump mounted fans.

Im not a fan of the push through pins, wont use them i will make some brackets to hold the fan before i do that....

If the electic fans are bad then why are more and more cars going to them and why are they so popular?
I understand what you are saying but if you use PROPER fans, ones that can move enough air to get the job done, then what is the problem?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Again...great info blackhat. I was wanting a crossflow rad. but the only ones I could seem to find that were in my price range were on ebay...and I don't wanna buy something as important as a radiator on ebay. As far as the companies you listed...while yes they're great...a little steep in price for the rig I'd be putting the radiator in to.

Yep Griffin & Be Cool are speny radiators. Another thought would be to talk wtih your local radiator shop, and get a later model Ford radiator or equivalent that is cross flow. I can't remember off the top of my head when FMC switched to cross flow in the trucks.

Also on the to radiators you had listed, there were to OEM factory sizes offered in the 78-79 Bronco, the 19x26 and 24x26 they are both direct bolt in. Larger was standard on 400 automaic A/C equipped IIRC.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Okay found them. Starting with the 1980 MY FMC switched to cross flow radiators, Prolinace makes OEM replacements that are reasonably priced and carried by several parts houses. The cross flow radiators are 20" tall and 20-30" wide. So check your width and see if you can mount a slightly wider radiator in your 79. IIRC the 78-79 are wider than the 80 Broncos so adapting the 1980 -84 radiator may not be to much trouble. You could always go to junk yard and measure one.

Model # 433561 or 436007

www.pliii.com/catalog?searcher[year...er[part_type]=Radiator&search_vehicles=SEARCH

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...6+4294908330+115+4294925047&Ntk=KeywordSearch

http://store.summitracing.com/compa...6+4294908330+4294925047+115&Ntk=KeywordSearch

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Electric fan setups are not nearly as efficeint or effective as the factory water pump mounted fan assemblies. Removing the factory water pump mounted cooling fans and installing an electric unit is a step backwards for cooling efficeincy.

I have one on my truck and I run cooler now then I ever did with my fan and shroud..

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I have one on my truck and I run cooler now then I ever did with my fan and shroud..

Maybe but they still are not as efficeint. Before you swapped you needed to determine why the factory system was not working properly. There is a reason you do not see electric fans in high heat applications.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Im not a fan of the push through pins, wont use them i will make some brackets to hold the fan before i do that....

If the electic fans are bad then why are more and more cars going to them and why are they so popular?
I understand what you are saying but if you use PROPER fans, ones that can move enough air to get the job done, then what is the problem?

More smaller cars use them and it has to do with several reasons;
Horizontally mounted engines, compact space not allowing for enough room for belt driven system, fuel efficiency, cost minimal cooling requirements.

You do not see electric fans on high heat load applications for the simple reason they are not as efficient at cooling or airflow. Look at the Ford SD for example, FMC spent a great deal of money to develop a computer controlled belt driven fan to not only get the cooling they needed but to also increase fuel economy. FMC could have simply slapped an inexpensive electric fan on there to increase fuel economy but they would have sacrificed cooling efficiency. Big Blocks, Forced induction engines, towing etc all put extreme loads on the cooling system, hence the reason there are belt driven cooling fans and full radiator shrouds installed.

Side Note: you also increase the amperage draw on the alternator with an elelctric fan (40-60 Amps) which increases drag on the engine and saps some of the Hp gained by eliminating the belt driven fan.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts