Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

FE or FT 361

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out what motor I have in my old 1971 C-750 CabOver. I was hoping you could help me out.

The tag is missing off of the motor and I don't know if it is the original motor so the Truck VIN doesn't help.

I believe I have a 361 FT but I'm not positive. Most things that I have found point in that direction but I want to be sure before I start buying things online for this motor.

Here is what I found so far:
5-Bolts on Valve Cover
4-Bolts on front motor mount plate
Crankshaft Casting #D2TE6303AA
Casting on front of the block: 352
Casting on rear of the block: 352 A 55
Casting under oil filter housing: E1 1 M 11
Waterpump Casting #C8TE-8505-F
Carb: Holley 2300G Governed 2-Barrel

The crankshaft casting comes up as a 330HD or a 361 Heavy-duty Truck with 1-3/4" Pulley Snout.

It makes sense that this motor would be an FT since it's in a Cabover. However, the 352 casting on the front may indicate that it would be an FE from what I've read.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I can have a look tomorrow in a manual I have, it might tell me.

Fellro

Staff member
FT's have a bigger pulley at the water pump and higher up, and if I recall, the bypass hose to the front of the intake is around 1" or so. The water pump on FE motors are similar to a Chevy water pump, in that they do not attach directly to the timing cover.

My 71 has a 330 most likely, again as long as it is original. I haven't bothered to verify. It isn't a super power house, but gets along fine. (I have been giving some thought to going to a 6.9 diesel, since I have everything to do it...)

Some info:
http://www.f150forum.com/f2/converting-ft-block-fe-setup-189750/

getimage.php

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles