Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Engine is out, what to do before install

hey guys,

I'm swapping a new (used) engine in my 85 F250. the guy at the yard says it has 100k miles on it, its a 351W HO and it cost me $350. good deal or no??
im thinking about what i should do with the motor while i have it out. what do you guys think i should do?

the truck
02-03-08_1614.jpg

01-12-08_1250.jpg

some pics of the engine i got.
02-02-08_1121.jpg

02-02-08_1122.jpg

02-02-08_1124.jpg

Storm

Uh..

Major clean up.. Paint the headers.. I'd clean it all up honestly..

Yeah, I'd probably clean'er up and replace all those wires/hoses. Might wanna re-seal the gaskets too and throw on as many "new" moving parts as possible. :) How many more $'s you wanna throw at it?

yea im definitely going to clean the thing up before i throw it in there. its just that its been really cold and i haven't had a chance to go up there. the most i want to spend is $500. the blown engine in the truck now has a holly 650 carb on it. i don't know which carb this new engine has. i was thinking i would swap the carbs. instead of painting the stock exhaust manifolds i was thinking maybe just get new longtube headers. what do you guys think?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I would reseal the engine while it's out, change all the gaskets. (except the head gaskets) Check the t-chain, and mabe pull to cam and check that for any wear issues. Now is the easiest time to do that type of stuff, why wait to install it that the rear main leaks because it go dry and brittle.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yup, check the cam and maybe pull the valve covers off and make sure everything is okey dokey. And you'll probably want to put on longtubes now if you're on doing that later.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I would check into a serpentine belt conversion for it I really like only having to replace one belt!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Good luck on swap . Like said do the gaskets the rear seal especially. Clean house in engine compartment that is a nice looking truck my favorite color combo Black on black with black pin strips . Oww and chrome.

thanks for all the help everyone. thanks for the compliment lostin90s. i'll replace the gaskets and seals when it gets a warmer. i'm doing this all outside so i have to rely on the weather. i still have to take the old engine out. i was thinking after i do the swap, i would take my time and rebuild the engine that i take out. does that look like the right engine (the guy said its a 351W out of an '85 econoline) and did i get a good deal ($350)?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts