Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Door Lock Problems

I am having a problem with the electric door locks on my 2000 F-250 crewcab. I have been told Ford had some problems with this year on every model of their cars and trucks. How difficult is it to fix and will I need to buy new or just fix the old locks. Thanks Rob

blacksnapon

Staff member
I am having a problem with the electric door locks on my 2000 F-250 crewcab. I have been told Ford had some problems with this year on every model of their cars and trucks. How difficult is it to fix and will I need to buy new or just fix the old locks. Thanks Rob
Whats it doing?

blacksnapon

Staff member
The locks will not lock or unlock when you hit the button or use the keyless entry.
As far as I know, there isn't any specific year having trouble. The doorlock actuators are prone to going bad. Before you start replacing the actuators, make sure you check power and ground to each actuator. I've replaced switches, actuators, and repaire broken wiring doing the same thing. Could be a fuse blown as well.

blacksnapon

Staff member
That is the first thing I would check. The fuse. That would stop it all from functioning. Seems like if an actuator or wire was bad...it would be isolated to one door?
Nope......the opening and closing of the driver door can cause the wires to break (especially the wire that supplies power to the switch). The driver door switch controls power to both doors. Lose the switch, and both doors dont work.

Thanks for the info guys. This has been going on for a long time, when I first bought the truck in 2002 they all worked, then I lost the passenger side shortly after, then the drivers door started working intermittently and then stopped all together, and finally the back drivers side gave out the other day. I will take it apart and check things out. Thanks again, Rob

Thanks for the info guys. This has been going on for a long time, when I first bought the truck in 2002 they all worked, then I lost the passenger side shortly after, then the drivers door started working intermittently and then stopped all together, and finally the back drivers side gave out the other day. I will take it apart and check things out. Thanks again, Rob

Well how they all went out sep and didnt go out together, its the actuators. go ahead and buy all 4,not that hard to put in as long as you have small hands

sdtheclub

Certified Ford Tech
Well if they all went out at different times like you said then it's almost always the actuators. Replace them all the time. Great money maker

Ford Truck Articles