Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Removing Auto Hubs 92 Bronco

Ken , The more I think about going further then just changing the lockouts, the more you might want to do just the lockouts. To do anything other then that , you have to pull the caliper and rotors, which means you might as well do a break job too. So it could get extensive, but if you had someone to guide you through it, you would see how easy it really is.:)

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
My 94 still had the "one time only" lock nuts on it. They had to be destroyed to get them out. Ford discontinued making them.

Jeff's bronco graveyard sells a mile maker conversion kit, comes with stainless manual hubs, and the lock nuts that the tool fits, for around $100.

What a shame,my auto hubs were good. I couldn't beg anyone to take them, and finally trash caned them last week

Last edited:
All this talk makes me wish I still had my set of spline-to-spline hub inserts. Alas they were destroyed when Greystreak died. But they were nice to have in the event of a hub lock-out failure no matter if it was an auto or a manual lockout.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ken , The more I think about going further then just changing the lockouts, the more you might want to do just the lockouts. To do anything other then that , you have to pull the caliper and rotors, which means you might as well do a break job too. So it could get extensive, but if you had someone to guide you through it, you would see how easy it really is.:)

I'm feeling this way too Mark...I need to learn this stuff, but maybe take some baby steps....I'm looking at having at least a lot of this basic maintenance and tools necessary for the job to be within reach over the next 5-10 years....I've learned so much and have even done a little on my own the last 2+ years here being on FTF!!! :nana:

But my immediate, short term goal (this week or next) is the take out the auto hubs and electric shifter (two of the worst things about my Bronc so far) and have it winter ready with nice manual hubs and a manual shifter!

That would give me piece of mind that the hubs are REALLY locked or unlocked and that I can have confidence it can go in an out of 4wd (aside from a transfer case issue) without fail!

My 94 still had the "one time only" lock nuts on it. They had to be destroyed to get them out. Ford discontinued making them.

Jeff's bronco graveyard sells a mile maker conversion kit, comes with stainless manual hubs, and the lock nuts that the tool fits, for around $100.

What a shame,my auto hubs were good. I couldn't beg anyone to take them, and finally trash caned them last week

This is the first (out of about 100) positive comment I've heard about auto locking hubs. :suspicious:

All this talk makes me wish I still had my set of spline-to-spline hub inserts. Alas they were destroyed when Greystreak died. But they were nice to have in the event of a hub lock-out failure no matter if it was an auto or a manual lockout.

Not familiar with this...do these inserts make the rig All Wheel Drive (or 4wd full time)?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Got my new hubs today in the mail!

2012-09-01_10-46-02_26.jpg

Yaaaayyyyyy!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Those are PURDY!

The premium hubs turn almost all the way around to engage. The regular hubs turn only about 90 deg to engage. I've had my premium hubs for about 2 years and really like them. It took me a little while to get used to turning the knob so far, but it is an improvement.

Good luck with the install!

Here's mine

DSCF1406.JPG

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
fatherdoug said:
Those are PURDY!

The premium hubs turn almost all the way around to engage. The regular hubs turn only about 90 deg to engage. I've had my premium hubs for about 2 years and really like them. It took me a little while to get used to turning the knob so far, but it is an improvement.

Good luck with the install!

Here's mine

Very nice!

Yeah I read about the longer turns. Seems it would be more secure that way...also, caps are metal vs plastic.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
New hubs are one.....GOODBYE AUTO HUBS FOREVER! On the Bronco anyways! :)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
fatherdoug said:

Absolutely! After I get it back from mechanic who's got my rig waiting for its new shaft!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
m78 said:
Fantastic. Did you do anything else or just the lock outs ?

Earlier: remote start, keyless entry, tune up, still waiting for my shifter to come, might change egr valve, subs/amp maybe (all wired already, just plug /play, undercoat, detail.

At garage now waiting for my new rear drive shaft! :)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
2012-09-26_19-08-56_322.jpg

YAYYYYYYYYYYY!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Those look very nice! Did you do them or did you have someone else do them? YelloThumbUp

Doug, I was all ready to do them and this whole shaft/vibration thing happened, so my mechanic through them on for me in about 15 minutes.....:wasntme:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts