Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Performance bolt ons

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
So, what bolt ons should I consider to get a little more hp out of the 351m?

I'm thinking that headers are next.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
4bbl carb and intake setup. I prefer to go new, but Holley does have refurb 4bbl's for 2-250, and an edelbrock performer NIB can be found for under $150 on ebay or $250. As for headers, depends on what you want to spend...you have Hooker, Flowtech, Sanderson, Thorley, Hedman and a few others...ranging from $189 to $700. Then I'd go with a new cam kit. Then throw in a 400 crank. That is the order I'd go if I were you.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Bolt on...bolt in, same difference. With the exception of the crank, he can do it all with his engine still in the truck.

i will say this about headers. i put some summits on my truck and didnt see very much of a difference. probably because it cant breathe very well with the stock cam saying that i would probably go cam then headers. and dont get the cheapest ones you can find. looking back now i shouldve been smart and got top notch first time. i will be getting sandersons soon, and all i did was waste $125 the first time and probably wont be able to get half that back on ebay

An engine needs to breathe in and out, so get rid of the corks on both ends .Headers mostly work from mid range up, but much better if the rest of the exhaust is sized up too. which 2.5' duals would be fine with current displacement. Also as stated a cam prob. about an comp cam 262 or 268 extreme energy and also an Edelbrock intake and at least a 650 carb,Fords do like fuel so a 750 will work if Edelbrock, if Holley a 650 will generally do. Also better air filter such as K/N.

msd super coil and stated above.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
An engine needs to breathe in and out, so get rid of the corks on both ends .Headers mostly work from mid range up, but much better if the rest of the exhaust is sized up too. which 2.5' duals would be fine with current displacement. Also as stated a cam prob. about an comp cam 262 or 268 extreme energy and also an Edelbrock intake and at least a 650 carb,Fords do like fuel so a 750 will work if Edelbrock, if Holley a 650 will generally do. Also better air filter such as K/N.

There are a few inaccuracies with this statement...long tube headers will help low end and shorties will help top end. So headers don't 'mostly work from the mid range up'. I also believe you meant 2.5" duals...a 2 foot pipe diameter would be worse than those diesel guys...hahahaha. While the cams you chose are nice cams, they will require machining and head work...not so much a bolt in/on. Lastly, the biggest mistake most guys make on a carbed rig is going with too big of a carb. Keep in mind, the 'mighty 460' only had a 600cfm carb from the factory. It's a waste to go any bigger than a 650cfm carb until you start hitting the 450-500hp mark...I know I know you probably have a setup that works perfectly for you...but it's not a necessity, because Fords don't like fuel anymore than any other carbed rig.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
There are a few inaccuracies with this statement...long tube headers will help low end and shorties will help top end. So headers don't 'mostly work from the mid range up'. I also believe you meant 2.5" duals...a 2 foot pipe diameter would be worse than those diesel guys...hahahaha. While the cams you chose are nice cams, they will require machining and head work...not so much a bolt in/on. Lastly, the biggest mistake most guys make on a carbed rig is going with too big of a carb. Keep in mind, the 'mighty 460' only had a 600cfm carb from the factory. It's a waste to go any bigger than a 650cfm carb until you start hitting the 450-500hp mark...I know I know you probably have a setup that works perfectly for you...but it's not a necessity, because Fords don't like fuel anymore than any other carbed rig.

good post ben, good enough to post twice, hence the quote.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
While the cams you chose are nice cams, they will require machining and head work...

I was with you till this, can't see where you're getting this info from.

gsxr1238

Be fast.....or be last.
If you ever want serious power out of this engine,it will take some compression.If you have a few hundred dollars,go to the salvage yard and get a builder engine.That will give you time to build up something with potential.Tear it down and figure what machine work you need,as this will be one of your biggest costs.When your machine work is done,you can start piecing it together as you have the time and funds.In the mean time you still have your wheels to get around in.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts