Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

GREAT Steering upgrade !!

Hello fellow Ford fanatics !! I've been so pleased with a recent steering upgrade that I've been telling anyone and everyone who would listen.

I have a factory 1975 F-250 4X4 High Boy. Factory height. 35 mud terrains. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gears and factory 'Trac-Loc'. Added a 'Lock-Right' to front factory Dana 44 with 4.09 gears. 360 V-8. Stock with Hedman ceramic coated long tube headers and dual exhaust. Cast Iron 4 barrel intake with Autolite 4100 carb. NP-435 4 speed tranny with 6.69 granny gear. NP-205 transfer case. Was lucky enough to get it from the original owner a few years back. They live nearby and alsways seem to come up with some part they stored away and had forgotten about. Great people.

Anyway, after adding an aftermarket A/C system to the truck (I live in Phoenix...need I say more?) I began to focus on the antiquated 70% bundle of snakes power assist steering. Mine NEVER leaked....but the steering was a bit sloppy, and quite heavy. Anyway, I think I've been REALLY lucky with the fair amount of 4 wheeling we do, and not snagged one of the gazillion power steering hoses from the old system.

I began eyeballing, researching and pricing integral steering systems just over a year ago. After much research I decided upon the steering conversion from Benchwork Steering. They can be found at benchworksteering.com. The owner is Pat. One of the appeals to Benchwork Steering was the genuine time and consideration Pat afforded me on the many times I called to ask more and more questions. No pressure and NO being blown off or rushed !! Just great conversation and answers.

Finally, in early December 2009 I made the decision to have the conversion done to my truck. I opted to pay $100 more for thr 14:1 ratio versus the standard 16:1 ratio because i still have the closed knuckle drim-brake front end and felt the 14:1 ratio would be beneficail. WOW is truly the only way I can describe how my truck steers today !! I retained my factory p/s pump and location but gained a beautiful Saginaw integral steering gear and heavy duty components.

Pat developed this system many years ago, and as such, has A LOT of experience with them. He sells the kits and will install them for you if desired. I opted to have mine installed by Pat for two reasons. Time and the fact that he's done more than I can count !!

I truly wish I'd done this sooner as it has really made a great difference in how well the truck steers, handles, turns and manuvers. AND, no more hanging power steering hoses just begging to be ripped off while romping around.

When cjecking their website, benchworksteering.com, click on the power steering conversions tab and check out their 1967 - 1977 F250 power steering conversion kit and you'll see exactly what I now have. If you're still dealing with either a manual, or old-school power assist steering system, do yourself a BIG favor and check out benchworksteering.com. Go FORD !!

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
That looks like an excellent upgrade for the highboy trucks.

I don't have to drive my truck everyday, however, drove it Wednesday and Thursday this week. It's really hard to explain in writing how much more precise and comfortable my new steering is. Also puts the steering gear box inside the frame rail like I assume your awesome looking 79 F-250 has, thus, keeping the steering gearbox out of harms way. Thanks for the reply.

chuck101st

Springfield XD-9
Downs,IL.
I can't tell you how awesome it is that somebody came up with a bolt on system !!! Thanks for letting us know about this. I only wish that I had the money to upgrade my 77 now.

Looks like a 2wd box, or maby a 1/2 or Bronco box. Wow ! he's not shy about his pricing. That box might go for $25 in a local junk yard. The drag link is nothing more than tre's with a collar. Steering shaft looks like a Borgson or Flaming River.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
The kit is way overpriced compared to what you could get piece by piece. The only thing that is really nice about that kit is the steering gear mounting bracket and that shouldn't cost that much. I wonder if you could just get that and then buy everything else separately to save a ton of money. But, it is nice that you can get a complete kit.

chuck101st

Springfield XD-9
Downs,IL.
Looks like a 2wd box, or maby a 1/2 or Bronco box. Wow ! he's not shy about his pricing. That box might go for $25 in a local junk yard. The drag link is nothing more than tre's with a collar. Steering shaft looks like a Borgson or Flaming River.

All I'm saying is that for someone like me...whose truck is their daily driver, and can't have the truck down while pulling the engine or sitting at the welding shop while having the frame moded...a bolt on option that could probably be completed in a afternoon or a day is pretty sweet. Didn't say it was cheap. As I did say..I wish that I could afford it now as most of the parts that are replaced by that kit need replaced on my truck anyways. Except the gearbox which only seeps a little.

Hello !! I DO appreciate the feedback. I did use my truck as a daily driver for years...and still do in the Summer when Phoenix is extremely HOT and my Mustang starts to get a bit tempermental.
So why did I spend the money ? For me it had to do with a few factors. 1. Pat (Benchwork Steering) is local and has a fantastic reputation. I support local businesses as much as possible. 2. The 'used' stuff I'd found required the gearbox to be rebuilt anyway, in addition to new ball joints, etc. So the cost, while it would have certainly been less, had a manageable delta from my perspective because the parts were difficult to find. 3. It is NOT a 1/2 ton gearbox, but a bonafide 3/4 ton gearbox that Pat has successfully installed in many different types of trucks/rigs for many, many years. 4. Customer Service !! Simply outstanding ! 5. My buddy bought the same kit for his 76 hiboy and installed it himself. I had Pay install mmiine because I currently do NOT have time to do so.
Again, just my scenario. Enjoy your hiboys !!!

Beautiful truck!

The kit is way overpriced compared to what you could get piece by piece. The only thing that is really nice about that kit is the steering gear mounting bracket and that shouldn't cost that much. I wonder if you could just get that and then buy everything else separately to save a ton of money. But, it is nice that you can get a complete kit.

I do appreciate the reply, and yes, I really did have to think about it before spending the money, however, with recent 4 wheeling trips my old steering was really beginning to make me wonder, or, it prevented me from wanting to try some things as I was afriad to break it and then be stuck with nothing.
I really enjoy it now and have a lot mor efaith when going 4 wheeling as we did when we took the truck up to Flagstaff to "play" in the snow !! Thank you.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Don't get me wrong, it's always nice to have a kit with things like this. Also, I agree that the fact that having the truck down in order to make modifications to make a steering conversions is tough to do especially with daily drivers. I also did some more research and my overpriced statement really isn't that accurate. If you would buy each piece separately, you can still rack up some cash when buying all the parts new. Those gear boxes can be very expensive if buying new. Yes, a junkyard gear box is much cheaper if you'd go that route. Borgeson steering shafts aren't cheap either. Then think about the power steering pump and hoses. I think you could save some money by pricing things out and buying the parts separately. Not sure if you can get that gear box bracket separate though.

I bet Pat at Benchwork Steering would be willing to make/sell the mouonting bracket separately. It's always worth a shot !! I did not take any offense to the replies, honestly. I had to thnk long and hard abouot spending the money on this or.......something else. I'm hopeful this turns out to be a smart long-term investment, but I know that only time will tell. So far though it's been a kick and a surpise. I say surprise because my factory power-ram-assist steering was never this responsive, or tight !! I can actually turn around without needing a football field to do so !!
Are the pictures you have before and after ?? My truck is the plain jane Custom. I REALLY like the side molding on yours, whihc mine does NOT have. Thanks again. Doug

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Are the pictures you have before and after ?? My truck is the plain jane Custom. I REALLY like the side molding on yours, whihc mine does NOT have.

Yeah, they are before and after. The before pic was taken just after the truck was taken out of the trees. Used to be a plowtruck. Bought for $100. Body was shot. The only thing I used was the chassis and axles. So it was a major restore which still isn't complete after 4 years.

Buck, from the pictures you'd never be able to tell it's not finished, but I understand what you mean. Which engine/tranny combo do you have ? Is a 78/79 with the square headlights ?

1979Camperspecial, call Pat @ Benchwork Steering and ask for his opinion on your conversion. Who knows, he may have experience with this. Plus, I happen to know he's an avid off-roader and beats on his stuff pretty hard. Going to the "Dunes" is a big deal here in Arizona. They're right at the Arizona/California border just outside of Yuma, Arizona, so they're equally convenient for both Arizona dn California residents. Looks like the Sahara desert !!!!!!! Good luck with your conversion.

Stock Parts for steering

Remanufactured power cylnder from Pro Steering Systems $250
Rebuilt Power Steering Control Valve from same place $250
Heavy duty telescopic steel steering shaft with vibration reducer from Borgeson Universal $284
Tie rod and Draglink est $250
Power Steering hoses $50-60
Plus shipping costs.

The 1967thru1977 F-250 4X4 Power Steering Conversion $1099.95
and the kit gets rid of things in your tire well area.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts