Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A Sad Tale?

03 Big Red

True Believer
NC
Some of you have heard this before and I appreciate your help.

Back in September I was in ( and caused ) a fairly major head on collision. Me in my 2003 F-250 4x4, vs. a late model Camry. Everyone but the Camry is OK, Sort of…
My truck “Big Red” sustained some serious front end damage. Everything from the engine forward had to be replaced. I was at the body shop, probably driving them crazy, almost every day checking on the progress. After the better part of a month, they were done, and did a very nice job.
I have been driving my truck since October and everything was fine until…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Almost two weeks ago I left a gas station and noticed that my speedometer was not working, wait, my ABS light’s on, my engine light’s on, my overdrive off light was flashing, uh oh! Big Red seemed to be running fine. So I pulled over and disconnected the negative battery cable to reset the “fluke” and at this point I was certain it was a fluke. The check engine light reset, for a while.
That night I logged on to ask ya’ll for help with a diagnosis. I love it, the response was immediate. Blacksnapon said it was probably the rear axle speed sensor. Thank you again to him.
The next morning, I replaced the rear axle speed sensor. No luck. That night I logged on again asking for another diagnosis, but what was anyone to tell me sight unseen.
I decided whatever it was, it couldn’t be that bad , after all the truck seemed to running fine. So I continued to drive it. Over the next 24 hours or so the engine began stumbling intermittently. Not wanting to be stranded, I broke down and took it the dealership.
After about five hours, I got a call from the service department asking me if my truck had been in an accident. It seems the ABS electronic module and ABS hydraulic module both needed to be replaced, and there may be more problems but they cannot communicate with the computer to find out, until those parts are replaced. How much?
$2,300.00!!!!!!! WHAT?? OUCH!!
I said “Sounds like I need to call my insurance company.” He agreed and told me I should have the insurance company call him. This was on Friday.
No word until Monday, and not good news.
So I get a call from the insurance company, and they told me that if my truck’s issues were caused by the accident then based on how much money they had already spent repairing it they would be forced to TOTAL IT! That would leave me with two choices. One: they pay me blue book value for my truck and they keep it. Two: I keep the truck, unrepaired, and they pay me blue book value minus what they could sell it for at salvage. UGH!
Decisions, decisions…what do I do? If I keep my truck after they total it, it has a branded title which means it’s worth half or less what it was. On the other hand I cannot afford to make payments on another truck so I will have to buy a used truck with what they pay me, and start all over. I bought Big Red new and know her well, so I don’t like the thought of starting over. But, it doesn’t seem smart to keep a truck that’s lost half its value.
Four days go by and the insurance company can’t tell me anything. I’m without Big Red and going crazy! Meanwhile, they sent an “expert” to see my truck, which was still at the dealership, to determine weather or not the ABS problem was caused by the accident and if so weather the repairs recommended by the service dept. were necessary.
Friday afternoon 4:30 I get the call. The insurance co. has decided that the issues with my truck were not caused by the accident, and they won’t be paying for it. On the bright side they won’t be totaling it either.
I can’t argue with them. If I do, and win they total my truck. No win situation.
So it cost $96.00 just to pick up Big Red and bring her home. And here she’ll sit until I can afford to fix her.
By the way, on the way home the engine stumbles had gotten much more frequent. It has to be related. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Marc

blacksnapon

Staff member
A list of the codes would be helpful. The only thing I can think of may be the input from the vss is being altered, skewing any load calculations.

I'm guessing it's a p0500 code. I've seen a the connectors go bad on the vss causing this same problem. Might be what you have wrong with yours.

bendog

Pacific Northwest Chapter member
Have you considered used parts from a wrecking yard? Maybe you can replace those modules and be good.

I suggest that you contact Don at Ralphs used auto parts in Suffolk Va.
(804) 488-4766 for used parts for your truck. They have 1,000 or more Ford products to pull parts from. It would be best if you could go there as they would likely allow you to install the parts to verify that you're getting the correct item.

The best thing would be to go back to the shop that repaired your truck and let them make an "unseen Damage" claim as an add-on to the repair of your truck, they would have more influence with the ins. co., and let them make the repairs or replace the parts with used/salvaged parts.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts