Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Can't find my OBD plug in, help requested

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Hey guys, I am considering performance chipping my 1997 F250 HD with a 7.5l 460 V8, and I am pretty sure I have an OBD2 plug but I am not quite sure what it looks like. I have been told it is under the dash to the right of the steering column, I only saw a black plug with another white plug mated with it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
it will look similar to this
obd-connector.jpg

460Trucker

This is the only thing I could find that looks like that...

0710121807.jpg

460Trucker

Thats the problem, I cannot find anything that does not have wires coming out of it, there are black plugs that are similar to Randy's picture but they all have wires in each slot or something else plugged into it.

460Trucker

Randy, what do you mean by "his"?

460Trucker

There is absolutely nothing on the passenger side, just some wiring going through the firewall. Sadly, no black capped objects.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Look under the hood on the right side I heard of a few being there on the early obd trucks
That its what I tried to type but my auto corret spell check really butchered it.

460Trucker

That's where others on facebook have told me it is, I will have to look again tomorrow with a fresh set of eyes in case I am missing something. Maybe my CB radio is blocking it? I'll take it off the mount and see (Its right below the A/C and Vent controls). Thanks for all the help so far guys!

The autozone site has a neat little option of showing where locations of things are.
Just in case you need info at 3:00 am when no one is usually on here

They say:The OBD Diagnostic Link Connector is located:
Front seating area, driver side, passenger side of steering column, mounted behind instrument panel

Last edited:

460Trucker

I checked behind my CB radio and no luck there either. Even throughout the driver's side of the engine compartment, nothing. Maybe it's a lot higher and I am missing it. Thanks for the tip Mil1ion!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Why am I thinking that this truck doesn't have an OBDII port? Wouldn't it be OBDI?

If so, it should be near the driver's side cowl under the hood.

eprkol.jpg

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
That could very well be,With it being a HD withthe old body style it might not have the OBDII just the older connector

That was my understanding. smilieFordlogo

460Trucker

Thanks Austin! I looked at that and wondered if that could be it. So does this mean my truck requires a certain kind of chip made for an OBDI?

Ford Truck Articles