Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear view mirror glue help....

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
My bump came without a rear view mirror, so I bought one from LMC and tried to glue the little metal slip on piece to the windshield with Gorilla Glue.....it didn't work....let it sit over night and went to hang the mirror and it came right off.

This may sound like a dumb question, but is there a special glue for this?

My mirror came from LMC with no instructions.....didn't think I needed any. 'hiding_smilie'

Thanks....

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Thanks Randy.....will do.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...and be sure to use the recommended amount...it took me a while with this glue to realize more isn't better...takes forever to dry if you use more than than the recommended dab. And don't be directly in the sun either...I don't think it messes much with the adhesive properties, but you'll sweat like a dog.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Yeah...and be sure to use the recommended amount...it took me a while with this glue to realize more isn't better...takes forever to dry if you use more than than the recommended dab. And don't be directly in the sun either...I don't think it messes much with the adhesive properties, but you'll sweat like a dog.

Thanks a bunch Ben.....even little tiny projects like this require a little know how and a few tools. I'm learning. The video that Randy sent was petty extensive.....went through everything step by step.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
The glue in the auto store works great. I forget what one I just used on my mom's car, but it probably was permatex. One drop is all you need. What I did was hold it with my finger for the first minute like the instructions said then put some masking tape to make sure it stayed firm against the windshield. The instructions said it was ok to put the mirror on in 15 minutes. I waited until the next day though.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The glue in the auto store works great. I forget what one I just used on my mom's car, but it probably was permatex. One drop is all you need. What I did was hold it with my finger for the first minute like the instructions said then put some masking tape to make sure it stayed firm against the windshield. The instructions said it was ok to put the mirror on in 15 minutes. I waited until the next day though.

I did exactly this, but with the gorilla glue and when I tried it this morning, it came off pretty easy. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I did it wrong....but success is only X amount of mistakes away! bigdance

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
STUPID, STUPID, STUPID MIRROR!

I did what you fellas told me and I bought a kit (VIP - our local parts store didn't have that awesome permatex kit that Randy showed me, but had something similar), set it up with the metal clip that came with the mirror last night and this morning I was all excited to put it up and it came right off.......

The only thing I can think of is, the adhesive they gave me was for the clip they had in their package, which was plastic and not the metal one that came with my mirror! So, this morning, I put their plastic one on and taped it up and will try AGAIN tomorrow morning! Dang!!!

When I bought the kit, I was thinking ahead to plan C and bought some JB Weld and if this stupid thing doesn't work, JB Weld will be my plan C and if JB Weld doesn't work, I'm going to buy that permatex kit online for plan D!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Can you see the tape on the plastic clip:

ftf_sticker.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Oh yeah, I couldn't find the FTF Sticker thread that was hear a few days ago, but check out my sticker in the pic above...

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
JB weld will not work for this I tried it once.
Superglue kinda works but it falls of in sudden temp changes. My Dad uses Superglue on everything. All I can get Superglue to hold is my fingers together.
Make sure you clean all pays well with alcohol and fingerprints or grime will cause the glue to fail.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
JB weld will not work for this I tried it once.
Superglue kinda works but it falls of in sudden temp changes. My Dad uses Superglue on everything. All I can get Superglue to hold is my fingers together.
Make sure you clean all pays well with alcohol and fingerprints or grime will cause the glue to fail.

Thanks Randy....scrap plan C and move plan D into plan C's spot.....thanks for saving me the aggravation!!!! I can't give you anymore reps....rep gods are pissed that you help me more than others!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ken...I'm not sure why you're having so many issues or what exactly it is that you're using...but this is what I've always used and never had an issue:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...sive_-1_1796&keyword=rearview+mirror+adhesive

Usually what I do is this, windex the contact area. Rubbing alcohol on the mount. Apply a little more adhesive than recommended. Then I place the mount where I want it, and if I applied the proper amount (by my calculations), I get some adhesive to squirt out. Now, I physically hold the mount on with some decent pressure for about 5 minutes. And while I'm doing this, I use a paper towel to wipe off the excess adhesive. After 5-10 minutes of holding the mount in place, I tape it into position with good pressure. Usually, in the matter of hours, I couldn't break it loose with a hammer and chisel.

Next time this happens just go to a auto windshield installed and offer them $5.00 to put your mirror disc on.

I do it all the time around here.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ken...I'm not sure why you're having so many issues or what exactly it is that you're using...but this is what I've always used and never had an issue:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...sive_-1_1796&keyword=rearview+mirror+adhesive

Usually what I do is this, windex the contact area. Rubbing alcohol on the mount. Apply a little more adhesive than recommended. Then I place the mount where I want it, and if I applied the proper amount (by my calculations), I get some adhesive to squirt out. Now, I physically hold the mount on with some decent pressure for about 5 minutes. And while I'm doing this, I use a paper towel to wipe off the excess adhesive. After 5-10 minutes of holding the mount in place, I tape it into position with good pressure. Usually, in the matter of hours, I couldn't break it loose with a hammer and chisel.

I might move this to plan C if it doesn't work tomorrow morning!

Next time this happens just go to a auto windshield installed and offer them $5.00 to put your mirror disc on.

I do it all the time around here.

I would have made this my plan C, but I've been working so hard on this massive project, that I need to have a victory here or it would affect the rest of my mechanical learning life!

This will definitely be plan D if plan C doesn't work.

Fellro

Staff member
The 3M or the Extreme Permatex will be the way to go, the standard Permatex I have had come off the next day as well, or within a few days, so nothing less than the 3M or Extreme for me. Cleanign is definitely important, the material is not. The cleaner is also a primer, that is why it is important.Since you put the other stuff on there, you need to be sure to get all of the adhesive off the metal button. Also, be very alert to the direction it goes on, many people goof up and put the button on the wrong way, and then want to know how to get it back off... for the most part, it is there for good. I have ripped chunks of glass out when pulling them off junkers before...

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Clean both sides with the cleaner that comes with the kit.((This is the most important step)). if it doesn't come with a cleaner use acetone.

Thanks Mark.....I will definitely spend a bunch of time making sure it's clean if tomorrow morning, my plan B didn't work.

The 3M or the Extreme Permatex will be the way to go, the standard Permatex I have had come off the next day as well, or within a few days, so nothing less than the 3M or Extreme for me. Cleanign is definitely important, the material is not. The cleaner is also a primer, that is why it is important.Since you put the other stuff on there, you need to be sure to get all of the adhesive off the metal button. Also, be very alert to the direction it goes on, many people goof up and put the button on the wrong way, and then want to know how to get it back off... for the most part, it is there for good. I have ripped chunks of glass out when pulling them off junkers before...

Thanks.....the three times I tried gluing it already, I went overboard to make sure it was in the right direction.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Well, Plan C is now in effect! Damnit!!! Ordering the 3M adhesive Ben linked above...:headbang:

Orielly's was charging $12 to ship.....so I found another site who only charged $6 to ship....almost twice as much as the stupid product! Maybe I'll stop in another parts store in town before I order this....I don't want to wait a week....I've been working on this stupid project a week.

No Orielly's where I live. I'm going to try Motor Supply which is here....the stupid kit I bought yesterday was from VIP....doesn't work...a generic brand.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just nab the part number and see if you can't cross reference it at the parts store of your choice. O'reilly's has it listed as 8752...which upon further inspection appears to be the manufacturer's PN, so you should be able to go in any store with that number and they'll tell you if they have it or not. For reference sake, for this part and future orders, summit has this listed as TRM-8752, that's the retail PN, which may or may not be the same store to store.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Well, anything but VIP is an improvement. I won't shop there unless it's a emergency and they're the only place open.

(I like CarQuest and Napa in that part of the world, personally, but I'm drawing a blank on where in town their stores are.)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts