Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Torqueshift Question

Blacksnapon - Bowtiehtr,
Has the torqueshift proven itself to be a somewhat "bulletproof" transmission? Have you seen many failures (other than the snapring recall deal) and if so, how bad were they?

blacksnapon

Staff member
After they got past the shift solenoids and snap ring fiasco, the only issue I've seen has been independent garages refilling with other than mercon sp. Clutches, seals, and o-rings suffer. They are in my opinion stronger than the manuals.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I'm not having any problems, but then, I'm not putting all that much stress on it either. :rofl: Only thing I did to help mine out was a new Multi-Disc Torque Converter and programming.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
the torqshift is a awesome trans. now, i have seen some wierd things happen, but overall i would say it is bulletproof as long as you service it and it has proper cooling.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
After they got past the shift solenoids and snap ring fiasco, the only issue I've seen has been independent garages refilling with other than mercon sp. Clutches, seals, and o-rings suffer. They are in my opinion stronger than the manuals.

Interesting, and I'm sure Beach will find it interesting! Can you say what type of AFT caused the failures you have seen?

blacksnapon

Staff member
The only type accepted by ford is mercon sp. The failures have been with regular mercon/dexron.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
The only type accepted by ford is mercon sp. The failures have been with regular mercon/dexron.

Thanks, that was a loaded question!!!

I think it's interesting that Amsoil is selling an automatic transmission fluid they call "ATF". If you look at the specs, it supposedly can be used in Mercon V, and Mercon SP applications:

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/atf.aspx

However, if you look at the Amsoil transmission fluid application chart, they DO NOT have a transmission fluid for Ford Mercon SP:

http://www.amsoil.com/products/transmission/transfluid_rec.aspx

More typical BS from Amsoil!!!!!

blacksnapon

Staff member
I really couldn't say if amsoil is good today. My experience with it started a long time ago. When it first appeared in my area, they flooded the local markets with filters and lubrication products. My boss at the time, was making a lot of money replacing engines from the product at the time. We tore the motors down and analized the damage. Valve failures, cyl wall failures, piston and ring failures all due to dirt injestion. Crankshaft failures and bearing scoring/overheating from lubrication degradation. I guess that put a bad taste in my mouth at a young age.

blacksnapon said:
We tore the motors down and analized the damage. Valve failures, cyl wall failures, piston and ring failures all due to dirt injestion. Crankshaft failures and bearing scoring/overheating from lubrication degradation. I guess that put a bad taste in my mouth at a young age.
Ahem.........was the internal combustion engine in existence back then???'hah'

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I have heard of very few all out failures or problems other than those already discussed (snap ring). As a member of another site for almost 4 years now, I think 2 have actually been posted as failures. Both of those had surpassed the average life expectancy of the infamous 7.3 auto. As vloney :p already stated, the clutch material is the reason for the SP. If you put aftermarket (alto red) clutches in it, you can run mercon v. This info came from suncoast.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts