Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Escape Miles ?

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
So how r the Escape motors lasting miles wise? I Might buy 1 for a work beater and to see how like for when I get Kelly a ride.

I seen several with 120000 miles . But what might be some issue with them.Above 100000 other than normal upkeep? I know tranny's I've seen several with bad ones.

The body's seem to be holding up to salt well unlike their big brother the explore.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
The Escape gets top ratings for reliability according to MSN Auto, which uses Identifix's database. Identifix maintains the largest database in the US for repairs of out-of-warranty vehicles

"Identifix manages the nation’s largest automotive repair hotline fielding approximately 250,000 calls from subscribing auto repair shops each year—roughly 20,000 per month. In addition, Identifix offers Direct-Hit®, the award winning subscription-based online diagnostic service.

Identifix employs 45+ factory-trained, ASE-certified Master Technicians with over 1,000 years of combined experience dealing firsthand with vehicle diagnostic and repair problems. Identifix produces MSN Autos' Reliability Ratings by analyzing patterns displayed by thousands of repair requests the company receives from automotive technicians all across the country."

Link to Ford Escape Reliability Rating, 2001-2006 Model Years

Interestingly enough, transmissions are not listed as a frequent problem source in Escapes. Actually, hardly anything is- they score at the top of the heap with 5 infrequent service areas out of a possible five total.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Thanks Bud .

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
We haven't seen too many problems with engines, the trannys have some issues but I think they have fixed that for the newer stuff. Have some coming in with well over 100k on them. I would recomend a Escape to anyone.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
We haven't seen too many problems with engines, the trannys have some issues but I think they have fixed that for the newer stuff. Have some coming in with well over 100k on them. I would recomend a Escape to anyone.

Thanks .

Everyone That has them I talked to likes them other than MPG . They say first ones did better.

And to avoid 4 banger at all costs in my area.

I'm thinking of getting a 120000 + beater . Over 100000 they r cheap here. Than get a nice low miles one for the wife.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Figure you'll break and learn how to fix everything that can go wrong with 'em, before she gets hers...so you'll be an expert and get her back on the road in a hurry?

*Is it really that hard to find a solid Explorer around there? Here they still mostly look ok on the outside. I know they rot underneath first, but they don't seem any worse than anything else for rust, nor do they seem much worse on gas than what you've said the Escape gets. Not questioning your decision...just curious, 'cause a nice Explorer may be on the long version of my shopping list within the next 6-8 months.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Figure you'll break and learn how to fix everything that can go wrong with 'em, before she gets hers...so you'll be an expert and get her back on the road in a hurry?

*Is it really that hard to find a solid Explorer around there? Here they still mostly look ok on the outside. I know they rot underneath first, but they don't seem any worse than anything else for rust, nor do they seem much worse on gas than what you've said the Escape gets. Not questioning your decision...just curious, 'cause a nice Explorer may be on the long version of my shopping list within the next 6-8 months.

The explore lucky to get 18 MPG . I get high 16's on my f150 . The escapes at least get 20 mpg .

In the price range I have Explorers will be pre 03 and seeing the 99 01 they r rust buckets in my price range or 200000 miles .(not a bad thing. )

hope to find a beater one (for me for occasional to work) and see if wife like it . She thinks (me to ) that exploders a to big . Its just something to get kids to school .

Last edited:

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Just curious- what price range you fishing in? Out here, a 100K mile Escape will still bring upwards of $7000 if it's clean and all there. Decent Explorers will bring half that.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
My girlfriend's got an '01 Tribute (Mazda copy) with I believe 136K and she drives like an idiot and it's holding up just fine. The only gripe I have with it is the interior would be a cheap excuse for an early-90's work truck, it's falling apart all over. The tranny shifts firm into D/R, but smoothly through the gears. She's got the 3.0L and it pulls like a champ around town but has absolutely nothing on the highway. Low/mid 20's for MPG depending on the situation. Total PITA to work on.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Just curious- what price range you fishing in? Out here, a 100K mile Escape will still bring upwards of $7000 if it's clean and all there. Decent Explorers will bring half that.

Sorry took so long . I can get 03-04 clean with under 100000(saw one with 79000 for around $8000.

All suvs r not pricy sellers here. But the exporers r higher than escapes . Everyone is getting Impalas it seems

Ford Truck Articles