Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Escape capabilities

I'm seriously looking at buying a Escape within the next couple months. I need a better family vehicle that's somewhat economical. I was looking at a full size Bronco, but age, maintenance, fuel mileage make that a poor decision on my part. plus I already have one money pit that I have to maintain(the 78). I'm thinking on the awd model with the v6. I just want it will be able to suit my lifestyle. To be able to haul the toys, and be a little off road capable. Plus I was thinking that my oldest daughter will be driving in two years and this will be a good vehicle to pass down.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I have a co worker who really liked his. They can do really well off road as long as you're not looking to win any mud bogging contests.

The biggest drawback for him was interior space. He has a 1 year old and he said it just didn't have enough room for 'stuff' inside.

Fuel economy isn't nearly as good as you wish it was in these things. The new body restyle does better, but the older ones definitely aren't that good. It's almost worth making the leap to the explorer.

Ryan

F150

easy
The little woman loves her '08, 3.0V6. It's really a hardbody Ranger. Only problems we had was the front ABS sensor rings went bad, and the condensor for the transmission cooler was replaced under warranty. And fuel mileage is marginal at barely 20mpg average.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Toughtest of the small SUV's. That being said, there's an inherent fuel mileage penalty the second you spit out the letters "SUV." A Focus Wagon was roomier, gets about 10 mpg better fuel mileage, and can be had for many, many thousands less used. All a question of what's more important- fuel mileage or capability.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Fuel mileage isnt bad....my ol lady has a 2010 buts its just a 2wd with a 4banger, has decent pep and gets mid 20's all day long.

My biggest complaint is seat comfort, and the 4banger is kinda rough, it vibrates, (my 77 400 runs smoother at idle) and the trans seems to shift hard (but they all do it).

Also, they have HUGE blindspots. I had an eaiser time backing out my 97 Expedition from a parking spot then the escape.

@ polarbear, a focus wagon? lol. I'm willing to spend a little more on gas. 20mpg is fine with me. I'm thinking a 05. I like the body style, and they are more in my price range right now. I was looking at 08-10 year but had some set backs so now I have to look for something a little cheaper, around the 5k mark. My luck I'll be stuck in a mini-van, just call me soccer dad, or in my case cheer dad.lol.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
If you get a minivan atleast get one of those Mazda MPV 4x4 ones with a straight axle :p

IF i was forced into a minivan id have a Caravan/Town and Country with a 3.8L, atleast they can smoke the front tires :)

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
I can believe that. They were alot better looking then the Aerostars were. Plus they had a full frame.

Fellro

Staff member
All of the Astros and Safaris I ever dealt with got mid teens at best, the Caravans got into the mid 20's even with the 3.8.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
He said working capabilty and useabilty, not mileage :)

We already have a caravan. As far as mini vans go, I don't think I would buy anything else. For myself, I will never buy anything GM. I want a vehicle with 4 doors and somewhat capable to handel some off road and haul a boat, sled, or atv. I like the size of the Escape, and I'm really not interested in a Explorer. A lift is available for the Escape, so if I find one cheap enough, I'll get a lift for it as well, and a set of BFGs. I'm not to concerned about its gas millage. I'm sure it will far exceed that of the 78.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I freakin love the Aerostar.

My parents had one that I drove as a loaner between vehicles. The original engine and transmission went to 311,000 miles before they sold it (running). It used a little oil and the transmission shifted a little hard, but it ran. The only thing that would have made it more cool would have been the 5 speed 4x4 package (which does exist!).

Ryan

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
My brother picked up a 97 Aerostar for 650 bucks after his 02 Sebring started rod knocking....ben the best vehicle hes owned this far...

Well I totally scraped the escape idea. first I test drove a 09 explorer, it had the 4L. Beautiful truck. Then I did test drive the escape, but it had the 4 cylinder and I didn't like that motor at all, plus the escape wasn't going to be roomy enough. Wasn't planning on taking out a full size truck , but the wife and I decided might as well and we both fell in love. Long story short we Bought a 05 F150 XLT crew with the 5.4. How plans change.

racsan

4xford
as a van you could really use, i liked our astro, best fuel milage ever was about 19-20. got a pontiac montana much later down the road & hated it, got reasonable milage but had tons of issues & really not near the room or capability of the astro. only kept it 4-5 months. got a S10 blazr now. (wifes) it gets 22 highway, 17 in town. pretty reanonable for a 5,000 pound 4x4 with a big (4.3) V6. ive considered a escape or crv as the "next" vehicle for her. daughter is getting my moms '01 mazda protege as her first car, funny thing is, she will have the best (and newest) vehicle of the 3!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts