Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trans Flush???

Hi... I have a 2009 Ford Escape (79k miles) & the Ford dealership told me that I need a trans flush ...I've heard everywhere to NOT get this as it will mess up the tranny.... Who do i believe?? Supposedly the fluid is black or so they say...they are charging me $215......

Help please...
Thanks!!!!

You'd be fine with a fluid & filter change IMO. Do it yourself & save $. Not a hard job, just nasty. Make sure to get the correct fluid. You should be able to do this for around $50-60 tops. $215 sounds steep!!! I have never in my life seen trans fluid be "black"! Unless of coarse it was a manual with really old lube. Trans fluid gets a yellowish brown color when it's worn, not black. Pull your dipstick out & take a look, it should not be black!

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Check the dipstick. If it takes Mercon LV, that has a tendency to turn blackish very quickly. It does not affect performance.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
The escape probably takes mercon LV which turns black very quickly which is normal. I also think this is a drain and fill tranny don't think you can flush it and to change the filter the trans has to be removed and opened up to access.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts