Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Water pump and timing chain cover

KOER code: 111, super excited but I have some questions that really concern me...
Timing: my original base was 10deg CCW (BTDC?) and went to 16deg with spout in. After my new chain, my base timing is 8deg CW (WTF??) and only does to 12deg with spout in. What happened? Is this bad?

My power steering pump is on the fritz. I couldn't steer, checked level and it was empty. I filled it up and it's still whining like a SOB. Any idea how this could be related to my work? I only removed accessory bracket and put to side.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Check for top dead center. Pull #1 plug out, stick your finger over the hole. Have someone bump the key until it blows your finger off the hole. [Coil wire out so it don't start]

Take a drinking straw stick in the plug hole.
Take a socket, turn the damper back or forth until that straw shows you the piston is at the top.
Mark the side of the distributor center of #1.
Take the cap off. Is the rotor centered on the mark on the distributor?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
No, the balancer will be marked to specks. You compared it to the other one, right?

Sure did, but now that I’m looking at the balancer, CW IS BTDC...so I’M GOOD!

I don’t know what the hell was going on before when I wrote in my notes that it was 10deg CCW (ATDC), but it’s not like that now.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Funny how that works out.
Glad you have it solved tho.
How does it run with everything all tightened up now?

So just took her out around the block, she runs about the same, but I didn't really step on it. There is an odd strong rev sound in first gear sometimes, it's doing the same noise during the KOER test, but not all the time. The first video is what the truck usually sounds like for the KOER test:
https://youtu.be/R4TnKkV5AqQ
The second is this extra rev noise that is ocassionally happening when driving and during KOER testing:
https://youtu.be/OZQxOMa2ggM
Any idea what that is?

Second issue....I always run the cylinder balance test after KOER, bc why not? And I've always got a 9, until today...I got a 9 prior to driving around, then when I ran the test after I got the following:

1,5,6,7,8 (I then shut down the truck, did some cursing, contemplated what I'm doing with my life, then remembered the retest test that I've never had to use and started her up again)
Retest #1: 1,2,4,5,6,7,8
Retest #2: 9
Shutdown
Retest #1: 2,3,4,5,6,7,8

So is this something that wasn't being flagged with the old chain, maybe bc it was so loose? Within the last couple years I replaced distributor, spark plugs and wiring. Is this pointing to weak cylinders or something worse? I’m still getting 111 for KOEO AND KOER. ��

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Code 111 is system pass. Ill watch the videos when I get home

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
How many miles ?
Have you checked fuel pressure?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I usually get about 250,000 out of a set.
One thing you can do, pull the vacuum line off the pressure regulator, see if it has gas in it.

When you get the fuel gage hooked up, pulling the line off, will raise the pressure if working properly
I replace regulator with injectors.
A warning, injectors are expensive.

I bought Bosch for my project truck, less money than Motorcraft, bigger injector

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
So just took her out around the block, she runs about the same, but I didn't really step on it. There is an odd strong rev sound in first gear sometimes, it's doing the same noise during the KOER test, but not all the time. The first video is what the truck usually sounds like for the KOER test:
https://youtu.be/R4TnKkV5AqQ
The second is this extra rev noise that is ocassionally happening when driving and during KOER testing:
https://youtu.be/OZQxOMa2ggM
Any idea what that is?

Second issue....I always run the cylinder balance test after KOER, bc why not? And I've always got a 9, until today...I got a 9 prior to driving around, then when I ran the test after I got the following:

1,5,6,7,8 (I then shut down the truck, did some cursing, contemplated what I'm doing with my life, then remembered the retest test that I've never had to use and started her up again)
Retest #1: 1,2,4,5,6,7,8
Shutdown
Retest #1: 2,3,4,5,6,7,8

So is this something that wasn't being flagged with the old chain, maybe bc it was so loose? Within the last couple years I replaced distributor, spark plugs and wiring. Is this pointing to weak cylinders or something worse? I’m still getting 111 for KOEO AND KOER. ��
Finally got a listen.
The scanner grabs the pcm, and makes it rev to a certain point for a certain point to get the readings. this is normal. as soon as the idle came down to normal is probably where the 111 came in, which is system pass.
Truck actually sounds pretty good.

As we discussed later in the thread, I'd do some fuel pressure test, and FPR test before I did anything else

Ok ran some fuel pressures, KOER passes:
KOEO: 19Psi Front 28Psi Back
KOER: 32Psi Front 30Psi Back
*front pump was replaced in 2016, back pump is original*
No fuel in regulator and pressure increases by 10psi when removed.

For kicks I did the cylinder balance test, and it’s passing again...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
As long as there is no noticeable miss, or codes, I'd run for a bit, see what shows up. Like I said, in the video's the truck sounds good.
Maybe a tap of exhaust leak, but could have been my laptop.

My dad used to say I worried too much. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sometimes he was right

I literally said that when I closed my hood tonight (if it ain’t broke don’t fix it), and that’s a lot for me because I definitely worry too much. I’m going to run it for two weeks, I have a very short drive to work. I’ll be back on here after to post any codes/issues.

As always, thanks for the help and support!!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I think it will do all you ask of it.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Great news. Thanks for getting back to us

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts