Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The end of an era?

primetime

sawmill slave
So about 9 years ago I bought a truck. Those that have been around may remember it, new guys won`t.

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27792

Then I put a 460 in it.
http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29947

A Dana 60 soon followed to replace the TTB that`d broke on a previous owner then broke on me. Bucket seats and a console and other stuff have happened also. This truck has plowed a shit load of snow, towed a lot of stuff, been off road plenty, hauled a lot of firewood, and was my daily driver. It`s a good old girl that only needs a pat on the rumpy and the occasional I love you. But northern Michigan is not kind to vehicles, and Blue was getting kind of ragged.

SANY0402.JPG

SANY0401.JPG

SANY0403.JPG

Well two years ago I bought a 94 2wd F150 with a bad engine and a nice body with the intention of doing a body swap. And I got right on it:rofl:

So fast forward to today and I want to use the rear bumper and some other other trinkets off the F150 for another project.

Last night after work I drug it out of the front yard up to the garage with the tractor. I screwed up the filler panel, so add that to the list of things to buy.

SANY03963.JPG

I`ve had a couple extra D rings on the shelf for a few years, and it occurred to me this morning I should put them on the tractor bucket to make things easier. It already had a pair of chain hooks in the center.
SANY03973.JPG

I started with the box. Managed to save three of the bed bolts.

This was my solution to keep the ratchet straps attached at the front stake pockets. The back pockets didn`t need this. They had room for the hook. It was about this time the little woman came out to see what I was doing. I think mostly to see me fail. jokes on her 'hah'
SANY03991.JPG

SANY03981.JPG

So then I went after the rear tank. Turns out it was FULL of rancid old gas. after it hit the ground and dumped a couple few gallons on the ground and stunk up the place, I put the torches away and moved on to the front.

This is where I left it for the night. Not as far as I had hoped, but I work slow anymore.
SANY0400.JPG

So. I guess this is going to be the beginning of Big Blues resurrection. It`s not going to be fast. Parts need bought. Both fuel tanks are bad on Blue. I patched the front tank with Seal All and duct tape, but the pump has always had weird issues. Then it quit. Gauge doesn`t work unless the truck is turned on for an hour or more. Back tank leaks also. So two new tanks, sending units, and pumps while it`s apart.

Transmission. It`s never worked right since I had it rebuilt. I nursed it along through 30,000 miles and several years. I lucked into a rebuilt E4OD with 1,000 miles on it, so that`ll be going in. But I want to get a Transgo shift kit and a bigger aluminum pan from Summit.

A tree apparently fell on the 2wd at some point before I got it and messed up the right front fender, and the hood a little. Right front fender is also starting to rot on the bottom. Tailgate is rotten, but I have a good gate on Blue. So. Fender, hood, filler panel, plus paint, paint to match visor and tailgate.

So. He`ll be even more of a pyscho billy Cadillac when it`s all said and done with a 93 frame, 94 engine and body, 95 trans and underhood wiring harness, and 97 front axle, but he`ll be back.

primetime

sawmill slave
And i forgot. I named this thread , The end of an era, because Blue will no longer be blue when it`s done. I might still call it blue just to fawk with people lol.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Having gone through this project twice, and doing another now, I'll add some parts to your thread to make life a little easier on your reassembly.
This will be from the laptop where that's all stored tho, and it's angry with me at the moment, so wont open.

Nice job so far. I'll be following along

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I might still call it blue just to fawk with people lol.

I refer to my BMW as a "red motorcycle with blue paint."

(The front fender is still red, and that's what the registration says...but the rest of the bodywork is currently blue, with the red parts on a shelf in the garage.)

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Ok, here is a better solution for putting the bed on. these are correct, even if Amazon says they aren't
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CS335VS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

Body mount kit. These I have used twice, and are great. Tou may have to shim the bed to match body lines, they don't crush like stock
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-Sus...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

core support, as I'm sure yours is done at the bottom like mine was

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-S...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If you want stock bed bolts, I have new ones, and decent ones I have pulled. Let me know. There is a bunch of other parts, but those are the important ones to get it back on the frame

As far as the fender goes, don't go aftermarket, they suck for fitment around the headlight. go new Ford, or used Ford

primetime

sawmill slave
Yeah Doug, it`s a pile of work. It`s a rather ambitious project for a dude with a 60 hour a week job. And not as much ambition as I once had lol. It`ll be a nice truck again though, and I like representing proudly?

Charlie, you are really stepping on my flower here:rolling laugh:. I suppose you expect me to fix the rot in the cab crossmember also?? Thanks for the links on the bed bolts. The way some guys talk, they are unobtanium anymore. I don`t care if they are socket head versus oe. As long as they`re not cap screws with washers lol.

I like that that Energy Suspension kit you linked has sleeves and washers. The last time I used their stuff I had to come up with a conglomeration of stuff to make it work. But this was years ago and my skills where not as advanced. How about the so called ride quality that a few guys have complained about? Keep in mind it has F350 cab and chassis springs in the front, and I`m beating up and down a gravel road the county doesn`t grade all that well anymore, lol, so there isn`t a lot of ride quality to begin with, lol. And I`d get the black ones anyway for the antisqueek.

Core support on Blue is good. The guy I bought Blue from cut the bottom half off and rebuilt it. Why? Apparently his time was worth less then his money. Or he enjoyed fabbing stuff. He did have a 69 Bronco with a mostly hand built body that looked mostly like a Bronco. His and mines opinion of that meaning Blue had a "new front clip" differed though lol.

10-4 on the fenders. Gonna try and source one from the junkyard. I have patience. Hood and filler panel will be easy.

It was 35 and 50 mph winds here today, soo I didn`t bother going outside to start getting the cab off the frame. I just hugged the wood stove and had some cold snacks after work. Da UP got 20" of white dhiarrea in spots. They can keep it.

10-4 on the fenders. Seen that.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I'm lucking out, the one truck cab crossmember good, other bad. Frame body mounts good, other bad. I will be buying some new, but most between the 2 will work.
Lots of robots grinding and punching.

When we're done, we'll have a better truck than factory, and I think better than a new one.

If you want factory bed bolts, I have a bucket full. Seriously, I'll put you together a set, but those blind nut, screw down from the top sure do spoil ya

Those body mounts ride fine, I have them on the f 150 in the thread time to freshen her up. I also have them on the 95 Eddie bauer

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

primetime

sawmill slave
Sounds good. I`m not worried about oe appearance. I`ll just buy the Dormans. Thanks for the input.

Ford Truck Articles