Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel Issues 96 F-150

I've noticed my front/rear fuel tanks seem to fluctuate gas between them, this a common F-150 issue?

I'll drive on the front tank for 150 miles or so, note the gas meter to be about halfway down, switch to the rear tank for another 100 miles, note the gas meter to be down about halfway, then switch back to the front tank and the gas meter miracously will be around 3/4 tank!

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but my truck has been kind of inconsistent with highway driving the past couple months or so. It's even gone as far as lagging real bad up hills and flat out dying. Very little warning, just a sputter or two (kind of bucks like only half the engine is getting gas), and the truck shuts off. Starts up perfectly, and I usually don't have a problem with it again...although I usually switch fuel tanks just as this occurs just as a precaution and fear of the truck dying again.

It's a 96 F-150, 140,000ish miles, 4.9 I6, 2x4, Manual 5spd (shortbed if it matters) Being a 96 with the OBD-II, I pulled the codes (yeah, I invested in a code reader a while back, lol) Gave me oxygen sensor lean condition...which I assumed was a consequence of the dying on the highway.

I've changed the fuel filter (no fun in a driveway when it's 3 degrees out) and the plugs/wiring/air filter/etc. seemed to be ok. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated :)

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I had similar issues with a '96 F-250. I replaced the in tank fuel pumps and sending unit assembly andit fixed it right up. Hopefully Vince or Bowtie can step in before you spend money though. It might be something different.

blacksnapon

Staff member
without being there to actually see, the first thing I would look for is ground straps being clean and tight. With poor grounding, erratic operation is very much a possibility.

Thanks for the replys. I'll check the grounds this weekend, and maybe take a couple pictures around the tanks just to make sure I'm looking at the right thing(s). :)

along the fuel delivery line, i know i should only chk fuel pressure at the shrader valve on the rail w/ a true fuel guage.
that being said, in an emergency can i substitute a tire guage? you bastards can't flame me for this question 'cause i'm dealing w/ a pressurized fuel line..i need not burst into flames

blacksnapon

Staff member
Never tried that one! I am always too worried about the spraying fuel at high pressure if the fit isnt right. Let us know if it works (after they remove the bandages):rofl: . Honestly, I dont know if it will or not!

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
andyman, we put alot of check valves and pumps in due to that. the pump itself has a check valve in it that would fail, and as a cheap fix ford issued check valves that plug inline on the pumps. for your 96, you are looking at 2 fuel pumps or the check valves. plus if you got a o2 code, your sensor is probably crap. these trucks would short out the processor if the o2 sesnor would flatline so be glad you could pull codes. unplug the sensor and see if your truck will do better.

Ford Truck Articles