Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Easy way to adjust headlights?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
On the 1994 F-150...

About a year ago, I had the driver side front quarterpanel off, and took apart the light assembly. I don't feel like tearing it down again. Is there an easy way to adjust the headlights? I'm having a hard time remembering how I did it in the first place.

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
the chrome trim panel around the headlights is in the way of the adjusting screws. My chilton says that I have one at 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock, but does not give me a hint about how to get the trim off to GET to the screws.

Ryan

Headlights.jpg

Ryan, I believe you have the Aerodynamic style, don't you? Plastic housings? the screws are on top as shown.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
hey! haven't had this resolved.

Anyone taken the chrome trim off of the lights of a 92-96? I can't figure out what's holding it on towards the bottom or how to get to it.

Ryan

On the 1994 F-150...

About a year ago, I had the driver side front quarterpanel off, and took apart the light assembly. I don't feel like tearing it down again. Is there an easy way to adjust the headlights? I'm having a hard time remembering how I did it in the first place.

Ryan

hey! haven't had this resolved.

Anyone taken the chrome trim off of the lights of a 92-96? I can't figure out what's holding it on towards the bottom or how to get to it.

Ryan

You took it apart about a year ago and you forgot how? Your getting old and forgetful Ryan. :rofl:

As far as adjusting the headlights AutoZone tells you how.

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0a/39/3f/0900823d800a393f/repairInfoPages.htm

Do you still need the chrome off for some reason or can you adjust it like the site says?

Now I'm onna have to find a 94 so I can talk him thru it...

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
adjusting is no big deal. There's a couple mount screws. I can't remember how to get the chromed plastic off to GET to the mount screws.

Ryan

Well...is there the slightest chance it is made like an 89 ranger? confused

1. Remove a bunch of plastic screw clip things across the top of the grill and headlight door (proper name on a ranger).

2. Remove the grill itself (you should be able to see the screws).

3. Remove the screws in the headlight door (chrome piece around the lights) that are now visible (were hidden under the grill).

4. Carefully pull outward on the grill side of the headlight door.

5. Slide tabs out of slots on fender side of headlight door and remove headlight door from truck.

6. Adjust the headlight as per the above instructions from Auto Zone.

7. Reverse steps 1-5 to reinstall everything.

This sound about right for your truck? I assume they are all similar.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
no. I'll have to tear into it.

I may have to take the fender off again just to get to the screw. I don't have time in the near future, but I'll let you know how to do it when I figure it out.

Ryan

brian, you gonna be home sunday a.m.?

Do shops up in MO still check the adjustment on the headlights when you get them inspected?

AR did away with all inspections years ago, but even then they did not check the allignment. If you wanted them to check the allignment they usually grumbled....LOL

Anyway, the machines are long gone that they they checked them on and I need to set the ones on the 56.

I was thinking some shop across the state line might have the machine to do so.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I read that I was supposed to park something like 25 ft away from a wall and measure a certain # of inches above the mark and aim for it.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts