Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6 Speed 6R80 Bump?

I have a 2007 Sport Trac V8 4x4 with the 6R80 transmission and have had the "bumping" issue when coming to or accelerating away from a stop. I know there have been numerous TSBs on this problem but I would like to know what the latest is and if it has actually stopped or at least improved this condition.

Also, is this the same unit that is used on the 2009 F150? If so, is anyone having the same problem on their F150 or has Ford finally found a cure?

I would hate to think our earlier trucks were the guinea pigs for the high volume stuff or that Ford would leave us out in the cold. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy everything else about this truck and am a die hard Ford owner. I currently have five other Fords including a 67 Ranchero, 75 Bronco, 70 Mach 1, 89 T-Bird SC and 99 Mustang Cobra and have owned several other Ford trucks in the past.

blacksnapon

Staff member
TSB
08-24-4 DRIVELINE BUMP WHILE BRAKING - BELOW 10 MPH (16 KM/H)

Publication Date: November 20, 2008

FORD: 2006-2008 Explorer
2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006-2008 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 08-4-16 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2008 Explorer, Mountaineer and 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with a 6R60 transmission may exhibit a bump feeling while braking to a stop less than 10 MPH (16 Km/h). The following procedure will improve the bump felt while braking to a stop.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE MECHATRONIC UNIT. MECHATRONIC REPAIR / REPLACEMENT IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS ISSUE.

Install Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) / Portable Diagnostic Software (PDS) or equivalent and ID the vehicle.
Update the powertrain control module (PCM) and transmission control module (TCM) calibration using IDS release 57.11 and higher or 58.2 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. Since the TCM cannot be independently reprogrammed, reprogram the Programmable Module Installation (PMI) function to ensure that engine and transmission calibrations are updated to the latest level simultaneously.
NOTE: AUTHORIZATION DECAL NOT REQUIRED.

Verify that the TCM Calibration shows 8L2P-7J104-AC, (8L2P-7J104-CC for builds after 12/3/2007) part number after reprogramming is complete.
Select the following from the IDS tool, Toolbox, Powertrain, OBD Test Modes, Mode Level 9 Vehicle Info, TCM Cal Part Number.

Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables.
Using IDS:
Open Toolbox.
Choose Powertrain.
Choose Reset KAM.
Then Choose TCM.
Using PDS:
Choose all Tests and Calibrations.
Scroll down the menu and Choose Reset TCM KAM.
NOTE: FOR PDS, RESET TCM KAM IS NOT THE SAME AS CLEAR TRANSMISSION ADAPTIVE TABLES, WHICH IS UNDER THE POWERTRAIN - TRANSMISSION MENU TREE.

NOTE: UNHOOKING THE BATTERY WILL NOT CLEAR THE TCM KAM. IT IS CRITICAL THAT TCM KAM BE CLEARED PRIOR TO RELEARNING THE ADAPTIVE TABLES FOR THE TRANSMISSION.

NOTE: DO NOT CLEAR THE PCM KAM.

Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175° F (80° C). If it is not at 175° F (80° C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature.
NOTE: TFT MUST BE AT 175° F (80° C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.

NOTE: PERFORM ADAPTIVE SHIFT STRATEGY LEARN ON LEVEL SURFACE ROAD.

Drive unit to perform adaptive shift strategy learn.
Accelerate from rest with light throttle to 15 MPH (24 Km/h), remove foot from accelerator pedal.
Brake very gently to a complete stop (allow at least six (6) seconds).
Repeat steps (a-b) five (5) times in the dealership parking lot or similar setting.
Accelerate from rest with light throttle. The 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts occur at engine speeds between 1700-2000 RPM.
Continue to accelerate gently to 50 MPH (80 Km/h) or the 5-6 upshift.
Brake gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for at least ten (10) seconds.
Repeat Steps (d-f) a total of three (3) times.
NOTE: THE HARSH BUMP FELT WHILE BRAKING TO A STOP WILL BE IMPROVED. HOWEVER, SEVERAL DAYS OF DRIVING MAY BE REQUIRED FOR THE TRANSMISSION TO FULLY ADAPT.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
082404A 2006-2008 Explorer, Mountaineer 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac 6R60 Transmission: Check DTCs, Reprogram The PCM And TCM, Includes Time To Clear KAM And Perform Road Tests, Authorization Decal Not Required (Do Not Use With 12650D) 1.0 Hr.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts