Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5600VA inverter set-up

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
50K is kinda limited to be comfortable. Most people use way more that they think.
You need to buy special appliances normally LP to fit that budget for equipment alone.The load of a deep well pump, refrigeration, motors in washers and dryers will deplete a battery bank. With the limited charge capacity of solar it has to be backed up by either wind or preferably a hydro unit.
with a wind turbine you need to have a sustained wind speed of 13MPH IIRC and for the hydro unit you need a steady running river with a drop of a certain percentage. with these two options you have to run a LARGE guage cable to help reduce the voltage drop in the wires from the source to the batteries.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
50K is kinda limited to be comfortable. Most people use way more that they think.
You need to buy special appliances normally LP to fit that budget for equipment alone.The load of a deep well pump, refrigeration, motors in washers and dryers will deplete a battery bank. With the limited charge capacity of solar it has to be backed up by either wind or preferably a hydro unit.
with a wind turbine you need to have a sustained wind speed of 13MPH IIRC and for the hydro unit you need a steady running river with a drop of a certain percentage. with these two options you have to run a LARGE guage cable to help reduce the voltage drop in the wires from the source to the batteries.

50K is the minimum...appliances can be easily converted to LPG if you want.
You can use 6-3600VA inverters...that will give you 90A per leg@120. The battery bank must be used with any off grid system....solar is the most reliable charging method (next to a generator)...water might freeze, wind might stop. If you size your battery bank accordingly, you will have no issues. The loads you mention won't bother the battery bank if sized correctly...a MPPT is also used with the solar panels and is wired for 48 volts.
Inverter board ~ $17K
Battery bank AGM ~ 12K
Solar panels 175 watt ~ 14K
That comes to 43K...allow another 10K for installation and materials...that size will run a typical 2000sq ft home with a single 3-4 ton A/C unit. Using a MPPT allows the solar panels to operate at a higher voltage (they are wired in series) and therefore will have a much wider range for charging. The MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracker) is a bucking type regulator that has about a 98% efficiency.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
all in the work truck, it has a 20' box..it works well...it can run a 15,000btu A/C unit for about 3 days if needed.
Soooo, you could turn your truck into a mobile walk-in freezer too. Now THAT is coooooollll. :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Soooo, you could turn your truck into a mobile walk-in freezer too. Now THAT is coooooollll. :)

Hmmm...that's a great idea!...screw putting the little fridge back in it!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Actually, there are companies that rent mobile walk-ins. They do it for restaurants when we have walk-ins that need repair. :)

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

Think of all the beer and bitches you could keep on Ice for, when, you know :D
Hey do they make a I guess it would be power inverter for the home, some thing you could plug in to a wall socket and plug a ton of stuff in to with out throwing a breaker?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Think of all the beer and bitches you could keep on Ice for, when, you know :D
Hey do they make a I guess it would be power inverter for the home, some thing you could plug in to a wall socket and plug a ton of stuff in to with out throwing a breaker?

You meaning something to step down to 12V?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yeah I guess thats what i'm thinking about..

You can get all kinds of them from cheap to expensive depending on what you want to power...and you are going to be limited by the 15A wall outlet....you can take 80% of that continuosly...so 12A...that would equate to roughly 90A at 13.8 volts assuming an effecient power supply...what do you want to power Tex?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well I was wondering if I could make or buy some thing that I could plug all my Reef tank Equipment in to one wall out let and take some of the stress off my houses electric system.
as of now i'm sucking a ton of power run every thing.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaadup!
:D its nothing like that, i'm not trying to build a weapons grade centrifuged or any thing.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Well I was wondering if I could make or buy some thing that I could plug all my Reef tank Equipment in to one wall out let and take some of the stress off my houses electric system.
as of now i'm sucking a ton of power run every thing.

I assume all your reef equipment is 120V?....there is really nothing you can do to make it more efficient...the devices draw what they draw...and anytime you convert/invert any kind of power, there are efficiency losses. As far as breaking up the loads, you could run "x" amount of new circuits from the panel to your tank equipment and break the loads up....you can gain a little bit of efficiency from doing that, but not a lot.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts