Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 4

Generation 4 1961-1966 F100, F250, F350

Old 09-16-2014, 11:10 PM

junkyardjeff is on a distinguished road
The front suspension is almost in and the swaybar is clamped on the frame,going to get new rotors and mastercylinder and then plumb the rest of the brake lines and the front will be done then on to the rear. Its going to get a rear swaybar too but might have to do some modifications to the links due to the frame width differences,the swaybars came off another 76 years ago and I am glad I grabbed them since its the only 73 to 79 I ever seen with front and rear swaybars in a junkyard.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2014, 11:31 PM

Master cylinder and brake lines are done and will be installing the calipers and rotors next,thinking about going to the junkyard where the front suspension came from and grabbing the tie rods since the spindles are thicker on the dsc brake spindles then the originals and will have to grind the castle nuts down to get the cotter pins to go in.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:20 AM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
your on a roll there...

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Old 09-20-2014, 08:47 AM

JoeVol is on a distinguished road
Yep....take the money you would spend on parts and buy the gas. You will also be much more satisfied with your current performance.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:17 AM

I will like the truck better whan its done,it will stop and handle better and be more comfortable on the highway and not just use it around town only. Now I will be able to take it on long trips so to me its not a waste of money,I will have less then 500 dollars on the conversion and yes that would have bought alot of gas but when that money was spent I would still have a truck that I would not take on long trips. Even if I would have originally installed a 351-W and AOD I still would have been tearing it apart since I did pick up a set of 8 lug disc brake beams and front and rear sway bars but this time I am only adding the rear end to the change so I would have been spending money no matter what I was doing. I build my vehicles to drive and be comfortable and safe so to me I am just improving it.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:19 PM

The front suspension is very close to being done,all I have left to do is one rotor and caliper and bleed the brakes. Had a mid 70s tie rod assembly in stock so its on and grease up,it will be done tomorrow and all that i will have to do is get one tire repaired then on to changing to a 9 inch. 4 years ago i sold a 77 with the factory aluminum wheels to someone who just wanted the motor and I heard its still sitting in his yard so off to see if I can find it,I wish I had time to paint everything but I need this truck done in a couple weeks since I have to get my 55 sunliner in that garage to get it ready for a trip to Florida as it needs tires and shocks plus a new rear window.

Last edited by junkyardjeff; 09-20-2014 at 11:22 PM. Reason: added more words
Old 09-21-2014, 09:31 PM

Front suspension is done and all I have to do is get the one tire repaired then on to the rear,I wish I knew about gravity bleeding the brakes years ago since I had no one to help me today so that is the way I bled the brakes.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:13 PM

It went around the block and stops good,it does not have a firm enough pedal but I only gravity bleed the system since the rear will be disconnected in a couple days. It went down the road suprisingly straight and the steering wheel was centered with the beams from one truck and the tie rods from another,its back on stands with the bolts on the rear soaking in PB blaster.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:14 PM

Rear end is out and wil be heading to the spring shop to get bolts since I will be removing three leaves,I will be installing the 9 inch in a couple days and might be going to a one piece driveshaft if the one I have is long enough.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:20 PM

The 9 inch housing is in the truck and have the rear sway bar on and I think it will work with late 80s links.