Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

brake grease

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yes, it seems the rust forms under the anti-rattle clip, pushing it up and squeezing the pad too tightly.

I've given up trying to solve the problem, and just consider it a routine maintenance item. Once or twice a year, I take the brakes apart and clean the brackets (under the clip) with a wire brush (usually, I use an angle grinder with a wire wheel), smear everything with anti-seize, and reassemble.

After a decade of doing so, I can get both front wheels done in comfortably under an hour without much trouble- including pulling out and putting away all my tools.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Ever considered cleaning up the caliper and trying some of that galvanized paint?

You've got many good suggestions, and what I have to offer will probably be useless, but I thought that I'd add it anyway. In Ford's technical service bulletin number 104 dated 23 January 1976, article 1351, it said that all cars and trucks with disc brakes should use Disc Brake Caliper Slide Grease part number D6AZ-19590-A (a 2 pound can)(previously referred to as LPS-ESA-M1C167-A). Unfortunately, I have never used it, so I cannot comment on its performance. :(

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Ever considered cleaning up the caliper and trying some of that galvanized paint?

Never at the right time...maybe I'll give it a shot this spring.

(Probably not the caliper itself, though- I do not have caliper issues, and so I think painting them would be purely cosmetic and not worth the trouble.

In Ford's technical service bulletin number 104 dated 23 January 1976, article 1351, it said that all cars and trucks with disc brakes should use Disc Brake Caliper Slide Grease part number D6AZ-19590-A (a 2 pound can)(previously referred to as LPS-ESA-M1C167-A).

I always thought that referred to the "thicker than elephant snot" grease for the caliper slide pins?

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Never at the right time...maybe I'll give it a shot this spring.

(Probably not the caliper itself, though- I do not have caliper issues, and so I think painting them would be purely cosmetic and not worth the trouble.

No no, I wasn't saying paint the caliper but rather, the caliper bracket, particularly under the anti rattle clips and not with paint, but rather, the galvanized stuff. Let that beautiful zinc do it's job in fighting corrosion on the steel that currently has no corrosion resistant coating on it.

FWIW on the slide pins, I used cerami-glyde on the pins as well as replaced the pins, boots and the anti-rattle clips with new ones when I did brakes last December. You can buy a small pack of the stuff on Oreally for like, $1.50 and it will do both sides. BTW, Akabono pads FTW, absolutely amazing performance compared to OEM and looking like much less dust on the wheels.

Edit: Agreed on not painting calipers, would be a PITA to keep them looking good. Save that one for a weekend or summer driven car, not the DD.

I always thought that referred to the "thicker than elephant snot" grease for the caliper slide pins?

I have no idea what is in that stuff they used back in 1976, but I can say for sure that if it's petrol based and you use it in the slide pins on the Ranger/Explorer setup, that it will swell the rubber boots that are there to keep the water and dirt out and they will come lose and let the crud in.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles