Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dual fuel tanks

So I’ve been bouncing this idea around for a little while and haven’t been able to find much info on it.

I have a 2004 Ford F-150 fx4, I mostly use it for 4x4, camping and exploring this forest and trails in the PNW. It drives me nuts having to cut our journeys short due to fuel. Yes I know they make fuel storage for the bed and aftermarket tanks with larger capacities for loads of $$. The tinkerer in me has this idea that I can add an oem fuel tank to the opposite frame rail similar to older Ford pickups with dual tanks. Is there a way to make this work with modern fuel injected engines?

I picked up an identical truck a while back for parts from a buddy so I have the tank. Would it be possible to install the secondary tank and run both as if they’re one?

Anyone have any ideas? I know it might seem a little out there but a 50+ gallon tank without sacrificing space in the bed would be really nice.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Just use a transfer pump, and fill the other tank with it.

Yes I thought about doing that, but I want to be able to fill both tanks from the factory filler neck as if it a single tank.

Could I run an electric 3 way valve to switch between fuel pumps since I have a secondary factory pump ? And tee into the filler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
It would take forever to fill the tanks. Big truck 2 tank systems have a cross over pipe between the 2 tanks, they level out as you go Long. Both tanks have a fill.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ford Truck Articles