Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 8-9

Generations 8-9 1987-1996 F150 + 1987-1997 F250, F350

Old 05-19-2018, 08:14 PM

fordgirl is on a distinguished road
AC clutch

1995 f150 5.8 259k

My AC clutch wonít engage, with a gauge connected it is reading about 35-40psi. I read online that clutch could not be engaging bc minimum is 45 psi. Since the clutch isnít engaging, Iím hesitant to pump it up that high. The green filled zone only goes to 50psi. Should I just pump it up to 45-50psi and see if clutch engages?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
You're probably low on refrigerant. The low side numbers in the green section of your gauge are under suction, with the compressor running. Static pressure Id expect to see probably 50-60 psi. Add some and see if your clutch won't engage.

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 05-20-2018, 03:35 PM

And we have engagement, thanks!
Old 06-29-2018, 05:55 PM

So With the pressure in the green, the air is still not cold. Also when I go fast or really slow, the vents stop blowing and divert to defrost, why?
Old 06-29-2018, 06:36 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Vacuum leak Look under the hood by the heater box. There is a black and a white vacuum line goes in the cab with the wiring harness. The heat disintegrates these. Get some rubber line that will fit those lines, and patch them, problem solved

Going into defrost is default

If your still not cold enough on your a/c you probably are about 6 oz short. ( 1/2 can)

I have pictures somewhere of that vacuum line, but since my other lap top crashed, I haven't been able to retrieve them
I guess I need smokey.LOL
Old 06-30-2018, 02:51 PM

I just checked the lines and they look good, any way to put vacuum on them to test and be sure? Anything else it could be?
Old 06-30-2018, 05:22 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
They could also be bad right where they come down inside the kick panel, and cross over the bottom of the heater box. sometimes people catch feet in them

Other problem, Not sure about your truck, some had a metal "juice can" as a vacuum reserve on the passenger inside fender.
That rusts out on the bottom where the bracket sits, and no longer holds vacuum in reserve
Some later trucks, this "can" is plastic, and won't apply to you

If it's going from center to defrost when you step on the throttle, it's in those 3 spots.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:54 AM

Thanks!! I have he plastic juice can but I found a spot in the line that I thought was fine but had a mark, I clipped and replaced and it works at all speeds now!

I will add some more Freon and see if it cools it down.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2018, 08:34 PM

I’m sensing a pattern...I fill it up full charge and then it only blows out of defrost. It was fine (blowing from vents) before I charged it...
Old 07-30-2018, 10:10 AM
owned by Fords

It's in the vacuum. keep looking. It may be in the lines that come around the box inside. someone may have got their feet in them

Last thing, could be the control in the dash. they don't usually go bad, but your truck seems to be outside the usual curve sometimes.

Like I said, it is vacuum.