Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Nascar Truck

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I was just going through 98nascartruck gallery and realized something Ford should've done. Run the exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheel like the lightning. but instead of the rounded exhaust pipes do the squarish exit like cars really do. Just thought i'd through that out there for food for thought.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
smilieIagree Would have looked ALOT better, and been more "special"

Also, what exactly is special about this package? any performance/handling mods? or just paint and stripes? :headbang:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
So only a 4.6 and no performance upgrades, except a retuned computer? Doesn't seem so "NASCAR" to me... smilietease

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
LAME!!!!!! oh well still a nice looking little truck. i wish i could get my hands on one for free in good shape. Slap a 5.4 lightning motor in it. underdrive pulleys. a good tuner. psh. id drive the daylights out of that truck.

Here I am and see if I can answer some of your questions that best I can.

These trucks were mainly a appearance package and that link has the info about the truck!!

As for the exhaust...the prototype had the exhaust infront of the rear wheel and somehow Ford put it behind the rear wheel.

Got to remember that Ford did this truck because it being the 50th anniversary of NASCAR and the F-series truck in 1998. Other owners of this truck like myself wish that Ford did more in the performance of it and some owners had done that on there own. You can see by my truck I did it like maybe how Ford should have done by lowering it and having a smooth tonnuea cover and rear spoiler!!!! Maybe one day I will have a NASCAR style airdam on it!!!!

These weren't used as pace trucks, it was a Special Edition F-150 that Ford did to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of NASCAR and the F-series truck in 1998!!

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Q: Why was it produced?
A: First year of Ford’s 5-year contractual status as “official truck of NASCAR” coincided with NASCAR’s 50th anniversary… F-150 team members felt this was significant enough to warrant a special vehicle. Went from concept to production in only 17 weeks… an extremely short time for this sort of thing.

What a joke. 17 weeks to decide on paint and a one inch height difference? Again, what a joke. I love these trucks and think they are really, really neat. I love what you've done with your truck 98nascartruck! The cover and spoiler really make it.

I just think Ford insulted their people by not putting either a turb'd 4.6 or 5.4 in these trucks.

I still can't get over this..

Q: Why was it produced?
A: First year of Ford’s 5-year contractual status as “official truck of NASCAR” coincided with NASCAR’s 50th anniversary… F-150 team members felt this was significant enough to warrant a special vehicle. Went from concept to production in only 17 weeks… an extremely short time for this sort of thing.

From what I have heard from other owners of these trucks also wish that Ford have gave the truck more power under the hood.....also wish that Ford gave these trucks a special VIN #!!!!

THANKS for the comment and I was going for the NASCAR race truck look and think I have done a good job on doing that without taking away from how the truck looked originally!!!

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Oh yeah 98nascartruck, you did just right. Assuming that you're made out of money (haha) why don't you blow your 4.6? Isn't that like $4,000? I know the 4.6 can make some REALLY good power if you do it right.

Still, you don't need to do a thing. The truck looks sweet.

I am not made our of money and I would love to do a few thing under the hood in the future!!!! I am pretty much done on the exterior and the only thing I would like to do is have a NASCAR style front bumper and it would be a bumper cover also!!!

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
this truck was a bit of a let down compared to the lightning....i mean its hard to ut a nascar sticker on this truck and leave it virtually stock n call it a success....after all nascars trot around a track at 9k rpm for hundreds of lapps at nut bustin speeds....now if it had the fame of the lightning and the power of the new raptor ....well id just hafta change my man diaper

I somewhat agree with you and wish the truck come with more power under the hood and actually did a couple of things I did like the the tonnuea cover and rear spoiler. Also they could have added a NASCAR style front spoiler(air dam) to it and even lowered it like I did!!!

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i will admit you did a amazing job w your nascar edition........i think you oughta save up ur pennies n pop a nice turbo on it

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
There is one of these trucks running around near me, but it's all beat to hell, dented scratched, not maintained at all, sucks.

I'm not sure on the exact years, but I think the early 97 f150s had the exhaust runnings out in front of the rear tire from the factory, would've been cool for the NASCAR edition to get this as well. While I agree they could have done more with the truck, the concept to production time is still pretty amazing, considering it usually takes 2-3 years to get something going - or at least it did back then. The new Ford has been able to cut a lot of time out of that, but still pretty cool what they did with it.

fordman76367-thanks for the comments and I am planning on doing something under the hood in the future!!!

captain p4-actually the prototype of the truck had the exhaust coming out infront of the rear wheels, not sure why Ford didn't keep it. I know a few NASCAR truck owners have put there exhaust infront of the rear wheels.

My only problem I will have in the future is when I will need tires, because Goodyear doesn't make the tires I have in the size I have. They still make them for cars and there in white letter.

Ford Truck Articles