Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Changes

Michigan
Hey everyone. Well spring is here and im looking to changing stuff around on my truck. I need your input. Ok first of off. I must confess. Ive been hiding something..... Its rust... OK I SAID IT! Those ugly looking chrome wheel well trim crap (Which i REALLY HATE) is hiding a couple of bubbles. Well this spring i plan on taking those off, and fkxing the rust situation. The rear quarters are NOT bad to where i need new ones, its the mater of sanding the metal down and i bet i could drill that rust out and weld in the hole and grind smooth. Well after i get done with that, i was looking at 95F350XL's truck and im liking the way he went around his wheel wells.. Now if he would chime in i could ask him some questions about that.

Along with my quarters my tailgate is SHOT! The whole bottom edge is rust, so im looking for a used one that is in good shape, or buying an Aftermarket one. Then undercoating the inside of that and re paintin it.

Some other things that i need to do is, repaint my top. The paint is faded on top and the white fiberglass is coming through, so im going to sand it down and put a fresh coat of paint. Also many of you remember my stinkin branch incedent with it falling and landing on my hood creating a dent. Well i want to take my hood off, sand blast all under it, pull the dent out and add a cowl hoodscoop to it. I had a cowl hood on my 79 bronco but that was a monster 6 inch hood which was insane.

Also my grille has faded marks, as well as the light bezels, so i want to get a new grille, light bezels, and those black head lights like the harley trucks have. What im hoping for this truck to look like is all black, even window tint.

I was also thinking of a 4 inch suspension lift and 33's. But i dont have THAT much money, but what i am thinking about doing is getting 31x10.5R15 Mickey Thompson MTZ's because i am in love with those tires, and selling my 31x10.5R15 Mud dawgs that are brand spanken new with very little wear on them and make up the difference. Keeping my stock wheels and getting new center caps. mine are looking sorry. Well here are some pics. I could really use everones two cents, keep in mind im not looking to spend lots of money here. Il have probably a grand to work with maby more. (Also looking to upgrade my shocks and adding a steering stablizer)

This is my old 79 with the hood that i made. Mine will not be that extreme but i wanna go a 3 inch cowl and get those 351 emblems that was on the old mustang hoods
Picture010.jpg

Here it is without the ugly chrome trim...
085.jpg

Headlights
765520.jpg

Tires
1efd_1_sbl.jpg

And how it looks as of today.
100_2998.jpg

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Haha! Ryan was just telling me how I should put those chrome strips on my truck (showing me a picture of yours) and I told him I thought they were UGLY. He argued but I stood my ground. Glad we're in agreement :D

As for the rest... Well, I think the hood scoop you might wanna hold off until you get a lift and some bigger tires... The hood scoop might look kind of silly on a near stock truck. Kind of like when someone takes a stock Honda Civic and puts a huge spoiler on it. Thats just me though...

Rust treatment sounds good, sounds like you've got a pretty good hold on that. As for using bedliner, I've heard very good things about Herculiner, as far as the do-it-yourself department is concerned.

Headlights are a GO in my opinion. I like the idea and I'd like to do it to my truck some day.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
they make these headlights i see on eaby all the time. They come inblack backgroud or clear normal ones. Have 3 blue leds in the headlight itself. Comes iwth mactching corners and blinkers.

The chrome strips. After i bought my truck i noticed it only had 3 so i took em all off. If anybody wants them they can have em

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I like the chrome strips OK on black...

I wish I had a pic of my brother's Bronco for you- you wouldn't feel so bad about the rust. Both rear quarters are shot, as well as the tailgate and the left front fender.

I really like those wheels you've got on it- keep 'em. Me, I think it's kinda silly to replace tires that are still good (hell, I think it's silly to replace tires where you can still see the tread on 'em), but I've never understood the whole tire thing too well. :confused:

Michigan
Haha! Ryan was just telling me how I should put those chrome strips on my truck (showing me a picture of yours) and I told him I thought they were UGLY. He argued but I stood my ground. Glad we're in agreement
Yea i mean i dont hate em hate em. I like the all black look also, and with them on they stick out a little further like a flair and they make my tires look like they are sitting in to far. Sorta like an explorer sport (NASTY)
As for the rest... Well, I think the hood scoop you might wanna hold off until you get a lift and some bigger tires... The hood scoop might look kind of silly on a near stock truck. Kind of like when someone takes a stock Honda Civic and puts a huge spoiler on it. Thats just me though...
I C what your getting at but i was thinking about a 3 inch cowl and that would be a big cowl also, im going to try to find a one inch rise. I think that would look alot better on a stock looking truck

Headlights are a GO in my opinion. I like the idea and I'd like to do it to my truck some day.
YES headlights are a must. Black truck with black headlights is amazing looking.

I wish I had a pic of my brother's Bronco for you- you wouldn't feel so bad about the rust. Both rear quarters are shot, as well as the tailgate and the left front fender.
Yea these trucks rust Very fast. Mine wasnt even that bad and a couple of months later it started to spread throught my tailgate. I was going to save it, but now its just a lost soul.
I really like those wheels you've got on it- keep 'em. Me, I think it's kinda silly to replace tires that are still good (hell, I think it's silly to replace tires where you can still see the tread on 'em), but I've never understood the whole tire thing too well.
Yea i love these stock wheels. My dad had em on his 95 eddie 150 when it was brand new and since then i love em. The only wheel i would replace those with is the classic II wheels from MT. As for the tires, this tires are SUPER loud. Great in the mud, handle great on the street, wear on these things are amazing they are still like brand new, but i fell in love with the MTZ's and its a MUST have thing for me. Im sure i can sell the tires that are on my truck now for quite a bit. So il give it a shot after i buy the MTZ's but i want to do the rust stuff first. Wheres 95F350XL?? Gotta ask him how hard it was to take off the contour of his wheel wells.

Also thinking of getting rid of the carpet and doing the whole inside of my truck with that stuff. My feet are always muddy and im sick of trying to keep my feet on the mat and my carpet clean lol.

Also i would like to bump up my tire size and width. What do you guys suggest?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yo, im here man. Sorry it took me a bit. Yea your rust might be all surface right now, as your bronco is mad clean. If you go my way and use Herculiner to make your "fender flares" I used a t square and drilled holes in it to zip tie a sharpie on to make the line, then I taped it out, and rolled it on. As for the tires, if urs are good, dont replace, I love them wheels so keep em, Chrome trim, you love it or hate it. Your hardtop my buddy brush painted his one for his jeep and it came out good. Ill have to see what he used.
Here is a pic of the touch up I had to do when someone hit me. I used spay on for the fix, but it didnt come out as nice as the Herculiner.
Fenderrepair-1.jpg

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Also those headlights are sick, I do like the euro black ones, the ones with the led's are a 2 peice design they I dont like. Here are the ones I like.
LH-F15092SM-DP.jpg

In a bit ill go into my garage and take some pics of my redneck fender flare marker.
Also, my friend with his Bronco went for the Midnight Edition look, blacked out grill. Maybe go with that also. That looked cool. Also I got his old chrome one to replace my grey plastic one. I think im a color match my grill to my truck.

Last edited:
Michigan
Ok thanks man, yea the 79 i used tractor paint from TSC and i just rolled that on. After sanding it down a bit of course but it held up great. Im just waiting for it to warm up so i can take the top off and do that, as well as the lining. Yea idk we will see how it looks with those tires after its all said and dune. Im not liking my huge white walls n e more, i guess i could turn them around, but i like the outline of the words better. Thanks everyone for your help. Hopefully i can start doing this soon.

Michigan
Also those headlights are sick, I do like the euro black ones, the ones with the led's are a 2 peice design they I dont like. Here are the ones I like.
Yea i like the euro black ones better. The side marker light looks weird. That black mark angles outward and makes it look like the light is falling to the side..

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Leave the white letters out, on a black truck they look sick, they break up all the black. Just my opinion.

Michigan
Yea i love white letters ALOT but i think its a little much. IDK i will see when i get everything done. Cant wait.

Also thinking of getting rid of the carpet and doing the whole inside of my truck with that stuff. My feet are always muddy and im sick of trying to keep my feet on the mat and my carpet clean lol.
sounds like you need some husky floor liners. i swear mine holds a gallon of water/snow/mud.

also, while we're telling you what to do - your old avatar was better

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

Keep in mind that carpeting is a pretty decent sound insulator.

I don't ever want a daily-driver truck without it for that reason- I like to drive long distances, and the extra noise is tiring after a few hundred miles.

Got good floor mats, I knock my boots together before I climb in (watched my buddy kick a hole in his rocker panel knocking snow off his boots one day, so I don't to THAT), and then I just kinda don't care TOO much about the carpeting, either. It's there to put my feet on for cryin' out loud, it doesn't need to be clean enough to eat off of.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I LOVE those headlights! Chris where did you find those? I want the a similar setup 'cept without the smoke in the lenses, just clear.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
EBAY. Just search 96 F150 headlights, or 96 bronco headlights, and youll get all sorts of ones.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
EBAY. Just search 96 F150 headlights, or 96 bronco headlights, and youll get all sorts of ones.
Aww poo... I don't wanna boy a part like that on ebay... I'd be very suspicious as to the quality of the product unless they explicitly state the brand name (and it's a REPUTABLE one).

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ugh, just buy it. I got them on my stang, and ill get them for my truck after I get a trans lol. Anyway buddy had them on his bronco and they were nice. He had the clear ones.

Aww poo... I don't wanna boy a part like that on ebay... I'd be very suspicious as to the quality of the product unless they explicitly state the brand name (and it's a REPUTABLE one).
if a reputable brand made them, they'd be easier to find.

they don't exist. if you want them, but them, they'll be fine

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Mike I took the pics of my flares, and my redneck marker. I didnt put the sharpie in the right spot. I drilled a few holes, and made a few lines before I was happy with the line. Then taped it out. You get it. Lol
IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

Also for the front flare, I stopped moving the sharpie and then i dropped the end down to make it look nicer.

Ford Truck Articles