Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

From the underground, but worth reading

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Pay close attention to the Ranger Max concept truck. I'm told the real thing will be very closely aligned to it. Global T6 architecture (not the current Thai-built Ranger), should hit showrooms MY 2013. Reason for the delay was a change in strategy. With the exception of the Tacoma, mid-sized pickups actually don't sell that well (Look at the Dakota and the Colorado), so Ford pulled the F100 project and is going with a smaller design. Should be approximately the same size as the current Ranger.

Ford-Ranger-Max-concept-0.jpg

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
They can still call it the F100 for crying out loud! Unless it's a total SUV with a bed rather than a truck.... Then a 'name' type of name would be more appropriate.

Ryan

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
They can still call it the F100 for crying out loud! Unless it's a total SUV with a bed rather than a truck.... Then a 'name' type of name would be more appropriate.

Ryan

Actually, the Ranger has quite a bit of brand equity- that'll most likely be the name. That info came from someone close to the project, BTW.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Just as long as they don't spoil the magic formula-

Affordable, dead reliable, and tough as nails. It's taken years to build up the reputation the Rangers have on the last two, but it'll only take a year or two to kill it. And based on the people I know, people on a budget are a very big fraction of the people who buy compact trucks...so coming in at a reasonable number for a reasonably-well-equipped truck will be important, too.

Smaller is better, too, I think- I test-drove a 2010 Tacoma a few weeks back- the useful space isn't that much better than a Ranger, but it feels enormous in parking lots, in comparision. (Admittedly, new-car lots are always nerve-wracking places to be behind the wheel of a vehicle you've never driven before...)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Reminds me of Tacoma...but would definitely be cool to get a little diesel in that thing.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Yeah I was about to say 'Tacoma' as well after looking at it.

I must say, I'm not fond of the 'pointy eyebrow' look of modern headlights on ALL automakers, especially toyota. I like more rigid crisp lines and curves. Is it me or are all mid-sized sedans beginning to look the same (especially in the Japanese market)?

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Is it me or are all mid-sized sedans beginning to look the same (especially in the Japanese market)?

Ryan

Agreed on that. When I'm out hunting, I'm usually 3-500 yards from a road, and to pass the time I try identifying what car is going down the road. And for those 4-5 hours, there were countless times I had no clue what was passing because they all looked the same.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Agreed on that. When I'm out hunting, I'm usually 3-500 yards from a road, and to pass the time I try identifying what car is going down the road. And for those 4-5 hours, there were countless times I had no clue what was passing because they all looked the same.

the easiest way to tell is by the body lines and the taillights. i can get 99 percent of the cars right.

FTF'er
I'll take one with a diesel, 5.13 gears stuffed in a locked D60 type axle, and sitting on 38's. Thanks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
the easiest way to tell is by the body lines and the taillights. i can get 99 percent of the cars right.

I think that holds true most of the time...but keep in mind, I was 3-500 yards away from those cars...so I didn't exactly get the best view.

dixie_boysles

Joshua 24:15
MA, NC
i HATE that truck!

Ford Truck Articles