Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General Maintenance, Performance, and Tech. Info > Oil and Lubrication

Old 03-06-2015, 09:47 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, it seems the rust forms under the anti-rattle clip, pushing it up and squeezing the pad too tightly.

I've given up trying to solve the problem, and just consider it a routine maintenance item. Once or twice a year, I take the brakes apart and clean the brackets (under the clip) with a wire brush (usually, I use an angle grinder with a wire wheel), smear everything with anti-seize, and reassemble.

After a decade of doing so, I can get both front wheels done in comfortably under an hour without much trouble- including pulling out and putting away all my tools.

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2015, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Ever considered cleaning up the caliper and trying some of that galvanized paint?

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 03-07-2015, 03:36 AM

Ozzie has a spectacular aura aboutOzzie has a spectacular aura about
You've got many good suggestions, and what I have to offer will probably be useless, but I thought that I'd add it anyway. In Ford's technical service bulletin number 104 dated 23 January 1976, article 1351, it said that all cars and trucks with disc brakes should use Disc Brake Caliper Slide Grease part number D6AZ-19590-A (a 2 pound can)(previously referred to as LPS-ESA-M1C167-A). Unfortunately, I have never used it, so I cannot comment on its performance.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:01 AM

m78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond repute
I had pretty good luck with anti seize.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:43 AM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyBilly9Mile View Post
Ever considered cleaning up the caliper and trying some of that galvanized paint?
Never at the right time...maybe I'll give it a shot this spring.

(Probably not the caliper itself, though- I do not have caliper issues, and so I think painting them would be purely cosmetic and not worth the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
In Ford's technical service bulletin number 104 dated 23 January 1976, article 1351, it said that all cars and trucks with disc brakes should use Disc Brake Caliper Slide Grease part number D6AZ-19590-A (a 2 pound can)(previously referred to as LPS-ESA-M1C167-A).
I always thought that referred to the "thicker than elephant snot" grease for the caliper slide pins?

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 03-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere View Post
Never at the right time...maybe I'll give it a shot this spring.

(Probably not the caliper itself, though- I do not have caliper issues, and so I think painting them would be purely cosmetic and not worth the trouble.
No no, I wasn't saying paint the caliper but rather, the caliper bracket, particularly under the anti rattle clips and not with paint, but rather, the galvanized stuff. Let that beautiful zinc do it's job in fighting corrosion on the steel that currently has no corrosion resistant coating on it.

FWIW on the slide pins, I used cerami-glyde on the pins as well as replaced the pins, boots and the anti-rattle clips with new ones when I did brakes last December. You can buy a small pack of the stuff on Oreally for like, $1.50 and it will do both sides. BTW, Akabono pads FTW, absolutely amazing performance compared to OEM and looking like much less dust on the wheels.

Edit: Agreed on not painting calipers, would be a PITA to keep them looking good. Save that one for a weekend or summer driven car, not the DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere View Post
I always thought that referred to the "thicker than elephant snot" grease for the caliper slide pins?
I have no idea what is in that stuff they used back in 1976, but I can say for sure that if it's petrol based and you use it in the slide pins on the Ranger/Explorer setup, that it will swell the rubber boots that are there to keep the water and dirt out and they will come lose and let the crud in.

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 03-07-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ I always wondered about the consistency of elephant snot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!