Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help For Skipping And Backfiring

agrgjf-250

Georgia Chapter member
HELP! just bought 94 f-150 4x4 with I6 300. When the truckis idling it sounds good, well smooth and all but when I try to give it gas it starts to skip backfire and cut off until I let off the gas and then it begins to run ok again. When i drive or try to drive its the same thing. If I give it gas slow while in neutral it will rev up as high as I want it to. We tried to set the timing but the haynes book said there was a wire that had to be unplugged we couldnt find it. Any hints you guys could give me is welcomed because i have never really worked on many vehicles much, meaning I have changed oil and plugs and wires before this is going to be my first project and will need my hand held for a while so help is needed. Thanks for any help.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Start the truck at night, and spritz water onto the plug wires while looking for arcing. is there a CEL showing? if not, there still may be codes getting thrown. check out fordfuelinjection.com for how to pull codes with a paperclip. The thing you were looking for is called the spout connecter. On your year, it should be connected to the same wiring harness as the distributor and right next to it. It's most likely wrapped in black clothe-tape if it's never been messed with. The spout connector comes in both black and grey. Here's an example of what it looks like:
249564_spout_connector_1.jpg

agrgjf-250

Georgia Chapter member
Thanks flare side for the info put new plugs,wires, distributor cap and rotor buttonon tonight. Got timing to toc with the small mark on pulley. Pulled spout connector and set timing to 10 btdc and truck idled smoother but still backfired when i tried to give it gas. I used the timing marks on the left side of the engine. Oh, the distributor was not in time and I set it to the #1 cylinder still gettiing the backfires. Is there anything I could try?

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
check the idle air control valve located on the side of the throttle body.it is a long round cylinder with aplug attached to it.often times these will carbon up & the rod inside it freezes,which will give this issue,try cleaning it out with carb cleaner & freeing it up,or replace.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts