Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

More 06 E 250 problems

Bought truck 145. 500 miles on it
Told had CEL but would run Idled fine would make a 50 mile trip home but it came home on a tow truck I originally posted :
Here's the symptoms it starts and idles but you have a strong smell of gas it will not move more than 35 or so and it takes forever to get it going. It also feels like a misfire. the CEL is on and it spit out five codes the first two came up twice.. they are
P0174 system too lean Bank 2
P2197 O2 sensor stuck lean Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0430 Catalyst efficiency below threshold Bank 2
We checked for a vacuum leak and found none A shop mechanic told me that the left side catalytic converters were probably jammed causing the computer to make truck go nuts Replaced the left side cats with a Walker direct fit replacement,& both 02 sensors truck still ran shitty and I was advised to check PCV valve which I also replaced Also when they pulled out the left side cats it was determined that the muffler was jammed with pieces of the old cats so i replaced the muffler and they made sure that the pipes were clear. CEL has remained off since this repair It still runs like crap and had a miss. Did another scan and was told the spark coils were bad replaced all 8 spark plugs and coils 4 OEM 4 NAPA still ran rough

Guy at the shop told me that it was a trans issue so i took it to a trans shop who said it was NOT a trans issue He stated that we should prolly change right side cats which we did . no change in the conditions of the truck

Did two trips to Staten Island and we heard a noise from the fuel pump that it was whining erratically , replaced fuel pump and screen ( screen was dirty) no change

Truck still runs like shit
I cannot continue to throw money at it as its not working any other suggestions. As of now still no CEL

blacksnapon

Staff member
Bought truck 145. 500 miles on it
Told had CEL but would run Idled fine would make a 50 mile trip home but it came home on a tow truck I originally posted :
Here's the symptoms it starts and idles but you have a strong smell of gas it will not move more than 35 or so and it takes forever to get it going. It also feels like a misfire. the CEL is on and it spit out five codes the first two came up twice.. they are
P0174 system too lean Bank 2
P2197 O2 sensor stuck lean Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0430 Catalyst efficiency below threshold Bank 2
We checked for a vacuum leak and found none A shop mechanic told me that the left side catalytic converters were probably jammed causing the computer to make truck go nuts Replaced the left side cats with a Walker direct fit replacement,& both 02 sensors truck still ran FTFty and I was advised to check PCV valve which I also replaced Also when they pulled out the left side cats it was determined that the muffler was jammed with pieces of the old cats so i replaced the muffler and they made sure that the pipes were clear. CEL has remained off since this repair It still runs like crap and had a miss. Did another scan and was told the spark coils were bad replaced all 8 spark plugs and coils 4 OEM 4 NAPA still ran rough

Guy at the shop told me that it was a trans issue so i took it to a trans shop who said it was NOT a trans issue He stated that we should prolly change right side cats which we did . no change in the conditions of the truck

Did two trips to Staten Island and we heard a noise from the fuel pump that it was whining erratically , replaced fuel pump and screen ( screen was dirty) no change

Truck still runs like FTF
I cannot continue to throw money at it as its not working any other suggestions. As of now still no CEL
Address your misfire on bank 2. That quite possibly is causing all the codes.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
does this have a camshaft trigger like the diesels?

That's how my 7.3 acted when the camshaft trigger went up

we did try to address the misfire in bank 2 we replaced all the coils in bank 2 with Ford ones and we replaced bank 1 with Napa ones the plugs were replaced with autolite plugs ( IIRC or Motorcraft ones)
one other thing when you unplug each of the fuel injectors the motor runs worse and goes back to normal bad when you re hook them up. the codes were gone from the time we replaced the bank 2 cats and o2 sensors... its just been running bad

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Definately would check fuel pressure.

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.

blacksnapon

Staff member
we did try to address the misfire in bank 2 we replaced all the coils in bank 2 with Ford ones and we replaced bank 1 with Napa ones the plugs were replaced with autolite plugs ( IIRC or Motorcraft ones)
one other thing when you unplug each of the fuel injectors the motor runs worse and goes back to normal bad when you re hook them up. the codes were gone from the time we replaced the bank 2 cats and o2 sensors... its just been running bad
Did you replace the plugs?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Remember, o2 sensors measure oxygen, not fuel. If you have a bad coil or plug, theres no combustion. Oxygen is consumed in combustion. No combustion, lean reading. Lean reading on o2 sensors, catalyst efficiency is strange. Coil, wiring to the coil, plug, injector not delivering fuel are all potential causes of your dtcs. If you have a fuel pressure issue, you'll probably have multiple issues.

ok so we went to Ford with it and it died in the parking lot there and wouldn't start. Ford calls me back and tells me that there is low compression in cylinders 6 7 &8 and wants to replace the motor... They claim they did a compression test but refuse to tell me if they did both a wet and dry compression test
I also found out that the compression is only 5% lower in 6 and 10% lower in 7&8.. They also said bank two was running a tad rich and that the #8 fuel injector was firing late
Im wondering if there is a head issue or an intake issue?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts