Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

For you 4.9 guys

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well now...that looks impressive.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
In my honest opinion,turbos are nice and all,but they're like bolting a wing on a car,it may seem cool,but it's not.It's just a bolt on performance enhancer.I'd rather rebuild the engine for horsepower the right way.

Fellro

Staff member
Nothing wrong with sticking more air into the motor for more performance. Hope he upgraded the pump for the injectors to have 42 psi...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
In my honest opinion,turbos are nice and all,but they're like bolting a wing on a car,it may seem cool,but it's not.It's just a bolt on performance enhancer.I'd rather rebuild the engine for horsepower the right way.

I've got no desire for forced induction on my own rigs, but there's nothing not "right" about turbocharging an engine as long as it's got internals that can handle it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I've got no desire for forced induction on my own rigs, but there's nothing not "right" about turbocharging an engine as long as it's got internals that can handle it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Turbos aren't my cup of tea, but where does the list stop for not being a 'right' modification? Headers...intake...exhaust? Any mod you do is a bolt on. But I do kinda get where Shaun is coming from because I feel the same way about NOS...I feel like it's a 'cheap' modification....you want 800hp...build your engine for 800hp...don't build for 550 and then throw a 250 shot of giggle juice in there.

Last edited:
I like it. I think he did a good job except for cutting a hole in the frame for the air filter, if he put a little more thought into the way the turbo was mounted I think he could've easily avoided that. Me personally, I'd have run the air filter up through the bottom of the bed and maybe have it just poking over the bedrails.

Either way, that's some pretty good power for the investment.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
But I do kinda get where Shaun is coming from because I feel the same way about NOS...I feel like it's a 'cheap' modification....you want 800hp...build your engine for 800hp...don't build for 550 and then throw a 250 shot of giggle juice in there.

I didn't mean it's a wrong modification,Ben summed up what I meant by my post.It's a quicker,cheaper way out for Horsepower.Then again,some people like it that way.I'd rather personally see an 8-71 Roots thrown on top of a built V8.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
you want 800hp...build your engine for 800hp...don't build for 550 and then throw a 250 shot of giggle juice in there.
No, you have it all wrong, you build it for 800hp THEN you throw the 250 shot on it. :D

I have no problems with turbos, they are pretty neat. I have seen some pretty wicked turbo 4.9s.

No, you have it all wrong, you build it for 800hp THEN you throw the 250 shot on it. :D

I have no problems with turbos, they are pretty neat. I have seen some pretty wicked turbo 4.9s.

Now this man has the right idea...

Btw, as general rule turbos are more efficient than a centrifugal or roots style blower....

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts