Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General Maintenance, Performance, and Tech. Info > Oil and Lubrication

Old 08-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Chief Chaotic Engineer

Location: Malfunction Junction, Fidelity MO -or- Mound City, KS
mrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond repute
You can get a decent head's up on if the problem is continuing by putting your hand on one of the offending wheels after a drive and see if it's a bit "too" warm...
thinking there's an outside chance of a check valve hanging up in the distribution box...
-Tom, 98 F150 Lariat 2wd 3door / 84 E350
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2009, 10:17 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
thinking there's an outside chance of a check valve hanging up in the distribution box...
Anything's possible...but since I had to remove the caliper bracket with the pads in it, and beat them out with a hammer and block of wood, I'm thinking it's mostly a corrosion/binding issue right at the wheel.

*And yes, I'm quite certain that the pads should fall out of the bracket once I take the caliper off on this truck.

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 08-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Chief Chaotic Engineer

Location: Malfunction Junction, Fidelity MO -or- Mound City, KS
mrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond reputemrfixit has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere View Post
Anything's possible...but since I had to remove the caliper bracket with the pads in it, and beat them out with a hammer and block of wood, I'm thinking it's mostly a corrosion/binding issue right at the wheel.

*And yes, I'm quite certain that the pads should fall out of the bracket once I take the caliper off on this truck.
Yes, they should, especially since your spring clips haven't had a chance to rust
-Tom, 98 F150 Lariat 2wd 3door / 84 E350
Old 08-05-2009, 08:29 AM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
What I meant, was there's no "clip" that holds them in.

My sister's car, the anti-rattle clip sorta holds the pad while you're reassembling things. It's great...once you figure out how it's supposed to work.

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 08-05-2009, 12:32 PM

m78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond repute
If you have to beat them out,I'd say someone had the wrong part #

Old 08-05-2009, 01:02 PM
hackin' 'n' whackin'

Kevsha will become famous soon enoughKevsha will become famous soon enough
just spray some WD-40 on the rotor where its dragging

but serously. i always use di-electric grease on the caliper slides and load em up. make sure the boots over caliper slides are in good shape. a goos reason to use di-electric grease is because it is an exellent heatsink and the high temperatures of braking don't break it down as fast as some other grease. i've never has a problem with calipers haning up when libed properly with di-electric
Old 08-05-2009, 01:25 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by m78 View Post
If you have to beat them out,I'd say someone had the wrong part #
Wire-wheeled the rust off, and they fit perfect. And it was only the one side that I had to beat out, the other side came apart OK.

Poor QC on the parts, maybe...but they're way too close to be the wrong part, I think.

--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 08-05-2009, 02:44 PM
hackin' 'n' whackin'

Kevsha will become famous soon enoughKevsha will become famous soon enough
if you are having a problem with the pads binding in the bracket then next time you have it of take a wire wheel to it to get he rust off then paint it with some caliper paint and throw some anti-seize in the grooves where they ride before final install
Old 08-05-2009, 02:47 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

^^Did that except it was anti-seize on both sides, no paint.

Didn't think of paint...next time (if there is one) it'll probably be needing pads and rotors anyway...but I'll definitely try a little paint on the pad and then anti-seize on the groove.

Thanks!

--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 03-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Ian, after all these years what ever became of this? And by chance, was there rust on the caliper bracket and under the anti rattle clip that was aggravating the problem? Ie, rust growing, rust pushing on anti rattle clips and they jam against the pads and cause them to bind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere View Post
Pads just falling out on this setup, nope. Press out with light finger pressure, yes.

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp