Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

aggrivating day

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I can no longer say my fords have never left me stranded on the side of the road... Ive been driving the stang this week because the coolant reservoir tank cracked again on Lil Dually...I bought an aluminum one to replace it but it got backorder...

well since i couldnt wait for the new aluminum tank to arrive, i unfortunately had to get another plastic tank for the truck... my trusty little reliable back up vehicle (my stang) let me down today... spent an hr in creepy crawl traffic just to go 5 miles on my way home from work... then 10 mins on the highway doing 75.. (wait did i just type that out loud?? shhhhh) got within 3/10 of home and stopped to fill up... all was fine when i stopped.. but after i filled up and started her back up she ran a little crappy..since i was so close to home i figured id just limp it home and figure it out there.. figured i just had 3/10 left to go so should have been fine... what happens instead?? soon as i get on the busy road engine shuts right off... tried several times to start her again and nothing... had to call a roll back to tow me home.. (ironically me and the tow truck driver have the same nick name lol) when i got home i hooked the IDS up to the stang... nothing... no DTS every test i could run with it cleared fine.. go to try and crank it over again to see if i could get any running test data... fires right up no cough no sputter idled and reved fine just like it did when i first pulled into the station... im at a loss of what was wrong...

had a few suggest that either an air bubble got sucked in after filling up, it maybe vapor locked from sitting in the bumper to bumper and then getting on the highway or possibly either when i filled the tank it stirred up the tank in the stang and it sucked up some dirt or something came in from the fill stations tanks and plugged the lines.. either way i ended up stuck on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck...

so because i needed something for tomorrow, mom bought me a plastic replacement coolant tank for the truck so now thats on there till my aluminum one arrives..

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
That sucks! One of my coworkers' work trucks (2014 F-150 ecoboost) did basically the same thing. The dealer finally ended up replacing the whole throttle body to solve the problem. There were no DTC's thrown.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ive had a few suggestions to replace the fuel filter... cant remember when it was last done but has sat alot since it was last done.. so may try that first.. unfortunately im tapped for $$ until my next billing date passes..

Fellro

Staff member
Plastic fuel tank? I have had on one occasion a car with that do similar, was running just fine, shut it off and go into a zoo for a while, come back, nothing. Tow truck driver commented he had seen that happen before, and the bouncing of the tow got it back. Didn't work on my tow, so took that thought, jacked up the car, banged on the bottom of the tank, low and behold the car fired up. Never caused a problem again either... Likely a ground or wire connection or something. But it does make you a bit nervous afterwards.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Plastic fuel tank and fuel pick up screen.
car sits a LOT, and the lovely alcohol gas we get turns to muck, coats the inside of these units like super glue
Lucky tho, metal tanks RUST

It will do it again you will need to drop and clean the tank inside.

I own a few collector cars/trucks, most sit, so I am WELL familiar with this

You need to start adding staybul 360 to your gas if you are going to leave it sit for long periods of time

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Plastic fuel tank?

my guess would be yes.. but never had it down so cant say for 100%

You need to start adding staybul 360 to your gas if you are going to leave it sit for long periods of time

sadly i used it the last few times ive filled that one up because i knew it was going to sit... didnt seem to make a difference...

Mustangs fuel tank is all metal not plastic. with that being said i would look at ignition things that got heat soaked from sitting in traffic and at the gas station. It will happen like that when things are on the brink of going bad.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
hope those arent going bad... they only have maybe 3 or 4000 miles on them..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
replaced the external filter... will see how that does.. got to work this morning.. will see if i can get home...

Ford Truck Articles