Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

71 super custom

Thanks guys. I found a replacement master cylinder. 1980 f150 2wd was a direct replacement.

I'm not sure what exactly is needed for ac. There is a complete unit under the dash. And the compressor has been repainted. There is no belt on it however. I am assuming I will need to update it to modern coolant as well.

The truck has no heater core in it. I am going to have to figure that out and get something in it it just for the defrost ability.

The truck stops well. Seems to have plenty of power. All in all a good base for a fun truck. Nothing crazy planned. Just want to make it reliable and continue to play with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Been driving the truck for the past few days. Loving it. Runs good. Getting a fuel smell in the cab that needs to be addressed. Found out that the steering box is leaking. So I need to either rebuild that or replace. Stops and acceleration is good though. The full length headers to cherry bombs is a bit much. I need to figure out how to get the exhaust out farther. It just ends 6 inches behind the cab.

43e624c60ef31e10045f5c169376dca1.jpg

Been driving the truck for the past few days. Loving it. Runs good. Getting a fuel smell in the cab that needs to be addressed. Found out that the steering box is leaking. So I need to either rebuild that or replace. Stops and acceleration is good though. The full length headers to cherry bombs is a bit much. I need to figure out how to get the exhaust out farther. It just ends 6 inches behind the cab.

43e624c60ef31e10045f5c169376dca1.jpg

Nice!

Lol...I got the smell too!

I been puting mine off because Im thinking on pulling the tank out,an
installing a new under the bed...But:) might just buy a new filler tube..

Thanks! I'm starting to do research on the fuel tank to under the bed.

Changed the oil in it. Made a big difference in oil pressure. Still battling a leaking steering box. Was hoping the leak stop for a steering system would get it to stop but no luck. On the hunt for a steering box.

c9679c595b04d5a942cf97fe4b51b80b.jpg

Also used it to take the dirt bike out to a little trail for some seat time.

d7f5a57ca85ad8019efc2a67ced512eb.jpg

Winter came and it has been driven much. When it's cold the trans is slipping some. Once it's warm it seems fine. I go back and forth between keeping it and selling it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Fellro

Staff member
Sounds like hard seals, comes with age.

Nice truck to keep around!...YelloThumbUp

I got up this morning an did some brake work on mine ,
It was a real enjoyment to spend some quality time on it!...smilieFordlogo

The trans is going to be rebuilt at some point. If I keep it fresh trans and new glass will happen. Tomorrow I will probably drive it and remember how much I love it

Alright guys. I need a power steering box. I can't find one anywhere. Orielley's and the like say they can't get one. Any suggestions with out coughing up gobs and gobs of green backs

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You might want to consider contacting Red Head

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Red Head steering...I'd post a link but I am using a tablet which is a PITA..do a net search :)

Fellro

Staff member
Even Rock Auto says to send it in and they will have a vendor rebuild it...

Yeah. That's what I am learning. Looks like I may look into a crown vic swap. Not sure what to do at this point. For now I will just keep filling the fluids

Fellro

Staff member
Is it only leaking, but works fine otherwise? Might be able to change out the seal and be fine.

Did a little looking, and that same box was carried over up to 79. Still just as hard to find a reman box, but makes the year range to get used from a lot easier.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if newer steering boxes are a direct swap? For the cost of a new or rebuilt box I could be most of the way into a crown vic swap. Just weighing my options

I just Reread an earlier post. All the way through 79! Thanks guys

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles