Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Going Street

After allot of thinking, and looking at the cost involved in buying all new body parts, i have decided to turn the 77 ford into a street/ race truck.

I will be gutting allot of the truck, going to strip the bed down and just use the outer bed sides, ( no floor or inner bed walls ) also going to do a open motor bay.

I will be keeping the 400 v8 just cause i like it.

parts i have not fully researched

dropped twin I beams. ( would they be worth the trouble )
Also is there a kit to lower the rear of the truck without a flip kit. ( anyone ever 4 link the rear? )

As of right now this is the plan, and if anyone knows of any parts to make the truck hook up better and handle slightly better, i would like to hear your thoughts.

I would highly recommend not doing that. Sure it sounds cheaper and fun, but think about resale value and what you'll get out of it. Most cars that get turned into race cars get scrapped later on. Plus it takes alot of money to race. More than you're probably thinking. I could understand turning the truck into a cruiser though. I'm the kind of guy who thinks truck should only go up if you touch the suspension, but it's getting pretty popular now to lower them and make them ride really well. That's just my two cents. I would much rather restore something than go racing with my own money. Atleast when you restore it, you get some money back if you sell it.

I would highly recommend not doing that. Sure it sounds cheaper and fun, but think about resale value and what you'll get out of it. Most cars that get turned into race cars get scrapped later on. Plus it takes alot of money to race. More than you're probably thinking. I could understand turning the truck into a cruiser though. I'm the kind of guy who thinks truck should only go up if you touch the suspension, but it's getting pretty popular now to lower them and make them ride really well. That's just my two cents. I would much rather restore something than go racing with my own money. Atleast when you restore it, you get some money back if you sell it.

I would still use the truck as a daily driver, its that the truck will no longer be useable as a truck. We have a 1/8 mile drag strip ( legal ) The truck would be more oriented to racing then work or a good looking cruiser.

I would love to restore it, but i would never get even a 1/4 of what would be put into the truck back.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
I have another truck that I have never mentioned on here, it's not a Ford, I know...Boo!! (it's been for sale a long time cause I don't want to give it away) I did the whole "sport truck" to it and I'll tell you, you will not like using it as a daily driver. Sure it looks really cool all lowered and it turns on rails, and goes like stink, but you do not want to be doing any long drives, you feel every bump!! (I'm not an old guy, and I still do burn outs, lol) And yes, it was all professionally dropped with the best, everything is Belltech.

I have another truck that I have never mentioned on here, it's not a Ford, I know...Boo!! (it's been for sale a long time cause I don't want to give it away) I did the whole "sport truck" to it and I'll tell you, you will not like using it as a daily driver. Sure it looks really cool all lowered and it turns on rails, and goes like stink, but you do not want to be doing any long drives, you feel every bump!! (I'm not an old guy, and I still do burn outs, lol) And yes, it was all professionally dropped with the best, everything is Belltech.

Belltech? i thought they only made helmets and safety restraints.

Im not concerned with how the truck rides, it rides bad enough. I have other trucks to drive if i need to go some where. The sport drag racing idea is this trucks last hope, its either this or send her to scrap.

I like your idea. I'm doing a street/strip Mercury M100 in the future as well. I'll send you some 4-link rear and I-beam suspension info tomorrow.

As far as resale value is concerned, these old trucks are a dime a dozen and will bankrupt a guy looking to make a profit after restoring one. Have your fun with it!

Derek

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Belltech? i thought they only made helmets and safety restraints.

Im not concerned with how the truck rides, it rides bad enough. I have other trucks to drive if i need to go some where. The sport drag racing idea is this trucks last hope, its either this or send her to scrap.

Ah.... then yes, do it. Save it from the scrap!!!
Belltech suspensions has been a leader in dropped suspensions for trucks and cars for years. They even have a line of matched shocks for your drop and ride handling preference . Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Your thinking Bell...not Belltech.

Your thinking Bell...not Belltech.

I was thinking Bell.

I did some research, on a 4 link setup. There is no bolt on kit i have found, so i am going to have to fab one up.

The really nice thing is the truck had no options ( base model ) so the cab is bare and i really don't have to strip things out.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts