Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pitman Arm for 1977 F250

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Hey guys, As a precaution I'm thinking when I put in the Red Head geabox that I should maybe replace the pitman arm. Is there a difference between the Ford power steering arm in a F150 and F250? All I seem to see if for a F150?... Alsy, any recommendations on what/where? The Moog is really expensive and I don't know if I can justify that.. I want to get it today to ship for installation on Friday (IF I can get the heater core done!! )

Thanks!
Dak

dakonthemountain

Thanks..... GGGRRR!!!! I thought so. I can't find one either except for a 4wd... Is there a reason why I *should* replace it? The steering has been fine except for the leaking gearbox I'm replacing.
Dak

dakonthemountain

Ya know, I'm not at home and don't have my factory manuals, but from what I'm seeing on the web, and I haven't looked under the truck yet to be sure, does it HAVE a pitman arm? I find steering rods, linkages, etc. on parts websites, but NO pitman arm for 2wd, only for 4wd... Hmmmmm... I'll have to wait until I get home to find out on this one. Oh the learning curves...

Dak

76-774wdAT.jpg

steeringgear.jpg

784x4PowerSteering.jpg

dakonthemountain

Ok, so I crawled under Burt and of course there is the big ol' pitman arm attached to the sector shaft, but everywhere I call doesn't show it for an F250 specifically... and I can't find it on the web for only an F250 either. However, part #D2TZ3590B out of a Motor Crash Estimating guide parts listing that I have shows, under the 2 wheel drive section ""Pitman Arms, F100-250, pwr strg", so I guess the F150 IS the same... I'm going to purchase one and see. I'll let you know. Thanks again all!
Dak

Fellro

Staff member
The pitmans shown are not wear parts, so unless the tie rod gets loose, or the splines get loose, there generally is no reason to replace them.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
What Fellro said :)

dakonthemountain

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! This is the answer I needed to go forward!!! I have new tie rods a couple thousand miles ago and the splines are tight on the pitman. Actually the only problem I've had is the leak!.... Glad I didn't buy another pitman arm! thanks again!
Dak:)

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Ok, so I crawled under Burt and of course there is the big ol' pitman arm attached to the sector shaft, but everywhere I call doesn't show it for an F250 specifically... and I can't find it on the web for only an F250 either.

However, part #D2TZ-3590-B out of a Motor Crash Estimating guide parts listing that I have shows, under the 2 wheel drive section ""Pitman Arms, F100-250, pwr strg."

So I guess the F150 IS [confused] the same... I'm going to purchase one and see. I'll let you know.
Dak
Guessing doesn't cut it. There are two different P/S Pitman Arm's for 1973/79 F250 2WD's (D2TZ-3590-B & D2TZ-3590-D).

The difference is the F250's GVW / Crew Cab also makes a difference.

D2TZ-3590-B (marked: D2TA-3590-BA) / Applications:

1973/79 F100 2WD / 1973/79 F250 2WD Regular/Super Cab under 8,100 lbs. / 1975/79 F150 2WD.

Look at your Pitman Arm for the cast-on ID number. If it's D2TA-3590-BA...that's just ducky. If it's marked D2TA-3590-FA (D2TZ-3590-D), it ain't.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The pitmans shown are not wear parts, so unless the tie rod gets loose, or the splines get loose, there generally is no reason to replace them.

That's what I'm thinking...I don't think I'd spend the money Dak, unless yours is bent beyond repair or the splines are wallowing out.

Edit...second page didn't show for me until I posted, and I didn't look at the date. Glad it worked out for you Dak.

dakonthemountain

Thanks guys, ... remember I've already completed this project (new steering gear box) and didn't buy a pitman arm... Mine was in perfect condition anyway, tight splines and no wear.

Cheers!
Dak

Ford Truck Articles