Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1975 390cc Ford Engine - How new of a truck can I put this in?

I have a 1975 390cc Ford engine/automatic transmission. The engine was rebuilt by Jasper and only has 10K miles on it. The transmission is also rebuilt. I'm going to scrap the frame and body. I want to find a newer Ford truck in good condition without an engine and put the one I have now on it. How new of a Ford truck can I find that I can fit this motor in. Any ideas for the years, innerchangability? Thanks ahead of time for your help! Tom

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
No real answer to this, and the best will be ambiguous, you can throw it in whatever rig you want, as long as you have the skills to make everything adapt. But I'll assume you're looking for bolt in options...through 76, the Fseries was still using the FE's...77-79, you could still use it with minimal issues, since you have the trans to go with. After that, depends on how good you are with electronics and reworking sheetmetal.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Ben's basically right I think... Up to '76 it's a bolt in, til '79 it's nearly bolt in. After that you're looking at some fabbing to make it fit. Then in 1988 IIRC they went to EFI so you'd need to ditch the electronics on an '88 or later, which is a little work...

Shoulda been a 351w or 460 - they fit anywhere till 1997...

EDIT: BTW, I think you're talking about a 390ci v8. That's 6400cc. 390cc is 23.8ci. smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts