Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

tank sending unit

i have a 78 bronco..stock sending unit..i am building a custom dash with auto meter gauges...they don't make a gas gauge that works with the factory sending unit..ohms readings are to low or something..
what sending unit can i get to get better ohms readings..i was think a late 80 to 90 truck or mustang might work

Last edited by a moderator:

Fellro

Staff member
You will need to get the sender from Autometer to make that work, They do make senders. Otherwise, scope out JC Whitney for their universal senders. The trick you will find is getting the resistance to match, plus the resistance change. After 85, most senders had the big hole hanger to accommodate the tank mounted fuel pumps. The sender is plastic mounted to the fuel tube. Once you get to the 90's, it is all plastic. The resistance runs backwards to what it was prior to 87.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I have an autometer fuel gauge with the 73 Ohm empty and 10 Ohm full for Ford and works just fine. Your Bronco sending unit should be the same. This is the gauge I went with

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-4315/

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Be sure to post up a pic of what the dash looks like. I made a simple custom design for mine and works great, but dang it, I was looking at a stock cluster yesterday and the thought of putting it back in crossed my mind. Wouldn't be so bad, but the electric speedo and sensor wasn't cheap.

Fellro

Staff member
Easiest is to load it into your gallery, then link to it. For the most part, the pic doesn't get loaded directly into the thread, it gets linked from somewhere else into the thread.

Ford Truck Articles